IBM WebSphere Application Server Review

The high availability on this application has reduced the downtime, leading to increased productivity and efficiency

What is our primary use case?

We use on-premise model, primarily for hosting a case management system.

How has it helped my organization?

We have about 3,000 users concurrently using this application. This application has achieved more than 99.9% up time which has resulted in increased productivity and efficiency.

What is most valuable?

Stability, high availability, alert management, and deployments are the most valuable features for us.

What needs improvement?

The computing resources required to run WAS could be reduced so that we can use a smaller virtual machine to run the application.

I would like WAS administration tasks to be completed via scripts, rather than GUI.

We've been using this solution for more than ten years.

The solution is very highly available and very stable. We don't have any issues. We only need to restart VMs when we upgrade OS, apply WAS patches or deploy newer versions of our applications.

The solution is scalable to more number of concurrent users. Its ND version allows us to add more VMs. We have 3,000 users and we only need two WAS administrators. We don't have any plans to increase usage, but it's been very stable for long time.

Good.

The initial setup was complex. We needed an expert WAS administrator. We took iterative steps to achieve higher efficiencies.

In-house with experts from IBM.

Can't comment on the ROI, it has been very stable and provides very high availability. I guess ROI would be very high.

I don't remember the price, but there were no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

Use an expert WAS Admin to set up the deployment scripts and automating as much as possible. Implement DevOps concepts by working in conjunction with administrators and developers

I would rate this solution as eight out of ten.

1 visitor found this review helpful