IBM Workload Automation Review

Integration with different applications like Oracle, SAP, Hadoop, and JMS.

What is most valuable?

• Seamless integration with different applications like Oracle, SAP, Hadoop, JMS etc.
  • Web console with single sign on feature.
  • TWS as a tool has features that integrate with different applications and backend technologies, as mentioned, to run the jobs more native to the platform. Say, for example, if I would like to trigger a SAP job from TWS scheduler, I can specify most of the parameters from the TWS forms. As an enterprise scheduler, I have more control over most of the enterprise applications to which it is connected to.

How has it helped my organization?

Improved migration/upgrade features helped us to reduce the time of upgrade.

What needs improvement?

TWS is evolving from V 8.3 to V9.3 on the features and no major changes on the architecture. The user experience side of the console is being improved in all these versions, however, the console is not very fast as expected.

It would be good if the TWS consoles and front end reporting explores different users like business, technology and application teams and seamless and faster experience like mobile apps.

If these supported applications would be provided without additional licenses, it would be good.

Yes - UNIX installation, we encountered issues due to not having sudo root access.

In some windows installations, we faced issues with a gap in the path name, ex: "C:\Program Files\IBM".

3 out of 5 - in cases of high severity production issues, the SLA for PMRs (Problem Management Records) is 2 hours. However, from a business standpoint, I would not be happy to have my business down for 2-3 hours.

Initial setup for TWS 9.2, I find it complex, since there are number of components needed to be installed with no clear understanding of why those components are used and what is a pre-req for what.

However, I did find the installation for TWS 8.6 to be pretty straightforward.

In-house.

Seems very low and rate of realization is too slow for simple networks. However, good for high investment and complex scenarios.

There is a general perception that pricing and license costs are too high with the conventional model, like per CPU based prices.

However, IBM is trying to use the per job pricing in the cloud model.

What other advice do I have?

Yes, IBM has to review the non-cloud low pricing models and invest in architecture based revolutions.

Additional integration to IBM Watson for analytics would be more helpful.

1 visitor found this review helpful
2 Comments
author avatarSenior Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees

Very good review Gayathiri..