Inflectra SpiraTest Review

It improved the traceability of test cases and requirements, but I think this software could benefit from better reporting options.

Valuable Features:

This solution provided us with our first database solution for test case management. It also provided our first opportunity to easily link requirements to test cases, and test cases to test runs.

Improvements to My Organization:

Moving to a test case management solution like this improved our traceability of test cases to requirements, and our record keeping in general. Results were no longer spreadsheets stored on a server somewhere; they were much more readily available for review.

Room for Improvement:

The bug tracking portion of this software, while ok, could use some improvement. Also, I think this software could benefit from better reporting options - which may now exist in newer versions.

Use of Solution:

We used it for about one year.

Scalability Issues:

We found that, after a while, that after we entered hundreds of test cases into the system, operations like deleting a test case, or a test run, began to take over an hour to complete.

Initial Setup:

Our IT department took care of the installation, so I cannot comment on that. However, getting started with entering in tests, and creating hierarchies for structures was easy to do.

Implementation Team:

After installation, I basically took over getting our test cases entered, our upcoming requirements entered, and so on. The most important thing to know here is that this is a very time consuming process. Not necessarily due to the software, but due to the unavoidable fact that hand entry can take a long time. The software does support importing from certain formats, however if they don't line up with the way you were doing your documents beforehand, it won't be useful. Give your team sufficient time to enter in items as it will save time in the future, and will be well worth the commitment.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

For the price, this is a very simple solution, with limited functionality, that will definitely improve any department still using spreadsheets as their documentation. Once implemented, and transferred over, much, much time will be saved in test case execution, and reporting.