Inflectra SpiraTest Review

It is very intuitive and easy to learn, but it needs more flexibility in setting default behaviour of particular items.

Valuable Features

Apart from bugs reporting and tracking, which are obvious features for test management tool, these are the important features:

• Simplicity and usability - SpiraTest is very intuitive and easy to learn
  • Integration with other tools - I was integrating SpiraTest not only with Inflectra's Rapise, but also with MS TFS. I found the procedures straight forward, intuitive, logical and fairly easy to maintain. Spira Test has plugins for a number of tools.
  • Reporting - Flexible reporting feature made managers' life much easier. XML based templates, easy to tailor to user's needs were really helpful in providing up to date feedback of projects progress.

Improvements to My Organization

We came from Excel and mindmaps to using the professional management tool, thus there were plenty of benefits. Out of the blue, we were able to link issues with requirements, hold the history of test runs, differentiate results in regards to release, provide complex reports. The organization finally became organised.

Room for Improvement

To be fully honest, it's been some time since I've last used SpiraTest, thus some of these could be addressed already. But from memory, there were as follows:

• More flexibility in setting default behaviour of particular items, e.g. releases/iterations do not inherit their child nodes' test cases, the same with requirements and subrequirements etc.
  • Working better adaptability of custom fields, especially in terms of integration with other tools
  • More projects interoperability, also some root settings could be able to apply for each project. I missed the ability to establish the same workflow for each project, when a change was applied, to keep the consistency we had to update each project separately
  • More visual flexibility. To change the size of input fields, we had to dig into application code. Each new SpiraTest update obviously turned it all to default
  • Tool integration plugins are great, which doesn't mean they couldn't be better. Synchronizing items is fine, but why not synchronize relations between them?

Use of Solution

I've used it for nearly two years.

No issues encountered.

This is the biggest plus. I'd rate it 10/10. For the whole time I was using SpiraTest, I had an impression of being the only customer which counts. They answered even the most naive questions, patiently explained everything, went ste by step with more complex issues, even helped to fix corrupted database. If I were to recommend SpiraTest to others, I'd start with excellent technical support!I worked with TestLink, free tool not comparable with SpiraTest, in advance to the latter. Never evaluated any test management tool.

Straightforward. As simply as it is.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

If you think about the complex solution and did not purchase any tool yet, it could be wise to consider the full SpiraTeam Enterprise solution. Although integration plugins are great, it's nothing better than having the whole solution perfectly integrated with no need to spent weeks on maintaining. And the price is really good as for the quality of the system. Try the solution first, Inflectra is usually fine with extending trial period if required. And for this price - do you really think about limited number of users...?

Other Advice

Read the documentation first and do not shorten the process yourself. If you have any concerns, do not hesitate to ask technical support - they will help.