Jama Connect Review

An excellent cloud solution that is a very user friendly and mature

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for requirement management and test management.

How has it helped my organization?

It increases communication regarding the requirements. Compared to document-based requirement management, where it's hard to know where diversions are stored, etc., it makes it easier. Also, Jama has made communication between the stakeholders easier.

What is most valuable?

Compared to other requirements, management tools, etc., this navigates well. That's the most valuable feature. The user interface with the navigation capabilities and also the relationships and reporting tools are all good.

What needs improvement?

Test management can be improved. It's not so scalable. The user interface needs to split things into small projects.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is stable. They do have maintenance break every now and then, but they are planned breaks so we are informed beforehand when they pull it down. There hasn't really been any outages or anything like that, however. We're happy with the level of stability that's offered.

The solution is scalable in some ways but not others. It scales so that you can put a lot of data and users. The performance is okay in this sense. The user interface, however, is limited when you have a lot of data in one project. We have 400-500 users on the solution currently. We plan to increase usage. It's under deployment still.

Technical support answers fairly quickly compared to others like IBM or Atlassian. They also offer quite a good knowledge base for advanced cases and how to plan it, etc. via videos that they provide. They are quite useful.

The initial setup was a bit complex. It requires some configuration, even though you have a cloud set up so you don't have to install anything. You need to configure quite a bit around the relationship models and attributes and objects, etc.

We had some consultants that were recommended by Jama to assist with the implementation.

We evaluated quite a lot of options. This solution seems to be the most complete product and it has the requirements management part, which is really mature. Compared to IBM, it's easier to use. Jama has the mature features, but it's still user-friendly for beginners and that's the point when you deploy it to a big audience. Everyone needs to learn it and it's helpful if it's not too hard to learn. That was the biggest selling point. That, and the cloud offering. The cloud offers no limitations and the security is quite good.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model.

I've found the Jama is pretty much top of line nowadays. I'm certified IBM DOORS consultant as well and compared to that, DOORS may have more functionalities but it's also far more complex. The functionality of Jama is much easier.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.