JBoss ESB Review

Easy to use with flexible pricing, but needs more flexibility surrounding integrations

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use. I can download the trial version and just give it a go.

The pricing is flexible. It has some other products that give me a lot of flexibility, like the OS from Red Hat. The middleware is there, and the web layer is there as well. It's a good combination of offerings, which we can really use to help position them to some other solutions.

What needs improvement?

The EPA, from what I understand, lacks a lot of features and it doesn't really know how to interface with legacy systems or how to develop APIs for legacy systems.

I'm not sure if it is possible, however, we would like to see features that allow for legacy systems so that they can continue to be developed and managed well.

The solution should provide some more general studio features. We should be able to manipulate the platform in order to do some integrations on our own. There needs to be a bit more flexibility.

We've been using the solution for about two years now. We've been testing it.

The solution is very stable. It's reliable. Users don't have to worry about bugs or glitches. There aren't really any crashes. It's been good for us so far.

We've found the scalability to be good. If we need to expand the solution, we believe we would have not problems actually doing so.

Currently, we have about 700 people on the solution. They are all end users.

Technical support has been good. It's a little bit expensive to have the option for technical support, however, largely we have been satisfied. They're responsive and they help us deal with any issues that arise.

We tried some other solutions and experimented with trial versions. We've tried Mule, for example. We needed something that would work well with Red Hat, and we find that JBoss is very good in that sense.

The solution is both straightforward and complex. It's a bit of a combination of both, to be honest.

Deployment takes a few days.

Largely, the implementation was handled by someone else. We ended up getting outside help to implement the solution fully, and we were quite satisfied with the results.

We employed an individual to help us with the implementation. It was a partner or a reseller. I'm not sure exactly who it was. They did a good job though.

You do need to pay for technical support, which is pricey.

We can't complain about the product. It's good. However, there are so many others that are up and coming. The market is getting saturated with options. There are a handful of other products - maybe two or three - that we would also recommend.

What other advice do I have?

We are simply a customer, and we use the solution within our organization. We don't have a special professional relationship with JBoss.

I don't recall which version of the solution we are using. It's about a year and a half old at this point.

Overall, I'd rate the solution seven and a half out of ten.