KNIME Review

Rule Engine allows me to create lookup tables on the fly

What is our primary use case?

I write weekly articles breaking down the previous week's Green Bay Packers' game. My main use for KNIME at this time is a workflow that takes play-by-play data from a CSV and puts it into a multi-tabbed Excel document, with all the stats I need for the week.

How has it helped my organization?

I had been doing this via a mix of Excel macros and some things by hand. Even with the macros, it would take me 30-plus minutes every week, and even that was just for the raw data to get to pivot tables. If I wanted additional calculations based on pivot table data, that would take even more time. With KNIME, I am able to get that process down to under one minute, with data broken down into individual tabs. It has changed my week.

What is most valuable?

I know I don't use it to its full capacity, but I love the Rule Engine feature. It has allowed me to create lookup tables on the fly and break down text fields into quantifiable data.

What needs improvement?

I'd like something that would make it easier to connect/parse websites, although I will fully admit that I'm not as proficient in KNIME as I would like to be, so it could be I'm just missing something.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

I haven't had to use technical support, but I have been able to find answers in the forum to any questions I have had.

I had been using a combination of Excel macros and manual entry. I switched because I was looking for something a bit quicker and automated, something to remove as much human error as possible.

I started simple, as I was learning the software as I went. It ended up being fairly complex. I still had some manual entry, but as I learned what KNIME was capable of, I kept building more and more to get everything as automated as possible.

I ran through a couple different options. None of them matched up to what KNIME could do.

What other advice do I have?

Do training up front to make building workflows clean and easy from the start.

1 visitor found this review helpful