KNIME Overview

KNIME is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Data Mining tools. It is most often compared to Alteryx: KNIME vs Alteryx

What is KNIME?
KNIME is the leading open platform for data-driven innovation helping organizations to stay ahead of change. Use our open-source, enterprise-grade analytics platform to discover the potential hidden in your data, mine for fresh insights or predict new futures.

KNIME is also known as KNIME Analytics Platform.

KNIME Buyer's Guide

Download the KNIME Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

KNIME Customers
Infocom Corporation, Dymatrix Consulting Group, Soluzione Informatiche, MMI Agency, Estanislao Training and Solutions, Vialis AG
KNIME Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about KNIME pricing:
  • "KNIME is free as a stand-alone desktop-based platform but if you want to get a KNIME server then you can find the cost on their website."
  • "At this time, I am using the free version of Knime."
  • "It's an open-source solution."
  • "The price of KNIME is quite reasonable and the designer tool can be used free of charge."

KNIME Reviews

AmanKumar
Business Intelligence Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 31, 2019
Has good machine learning and big data connectivity but the scheduler needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are using KNIME for basic analytics to reduce the amount of processing time. We found that it takes a lot of time for scripting on the cloud, so we have been using it locally on our PCs.

• "This open-source product can compete with category leaders in ELT software."
  • "The ability to handle large amounts of data and performance in processing need to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We have done a few projects with some of our clients in KNIME. In these cases, we mainly used KNIME because of its ability to work in a data center environment in an enterprise system. This was one of the most important things that we were looking for. The second point was that KNIME is an open-source analytics platform. The point is that if some client has less data or a relatively small database, then we can use the open-source platform instead of using Alteryx, which is fairly expensive. These are the options we advise our clients about. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and…
Vadim Shumilov
Data Analytics Consultant at Optivia
Mar 15, 2020
Good workflow tools, supports Python and R integration

What is our primary use case?

This solution is primarily used for various data analytics in an enterprise environment. The reality of any data analytics project including Data Science is that 90% of the effort goes into data sourcing and preparation. Data usually comes from multiple sources including data warehouses, web scraping, Excel input, free text, etc. KNIME allows you to do the 90% plus other predictive functionality.

• "The visual workflow tools for custom and complex tasks always beat raw coding languages with the agility, speed to deliver, and ease of subsequent changes."
  • "I would like to see better web scraping because every time I tried, it was not up to par, although you can use Python script."

What other advice do I have?

If you need a good Visualisation functionality, you should use Tableau or something of that caliber. However, the data prep can be done KNIME, which would give you extra confidence that what goes into your Visualisation layer is correct. Overall, KNIME is definitely worth considering.
Learn what your peers think about KNIME. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
454,950 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SnehaaSelvakumaran
BI Solutions Developer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Nov 1, 2020
Open source with good analytic capabilities and very stable

• "The product is open-source and therefore free to use."
  • "They should look at other vendors like Alteryx that are more user friendly and modern."

What other advice do I have?

I am both consultant and a vendor right now. We do a bit of consultant work for some of our clients and we give the tutorials to them. We typically get in touch with them, and they send what they need and we do the distribution for them. I'd recommend new users have their requirements sorted out first so that they know what they need out of the tool. If that is clear, they can install the custom content required in KNIME to get their analytics done correctly. If that is there, then it's a piece of cake. Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If the user interface was better and it…
Hemant Addal
Senior Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Oct 30, 2020
Visually appealing, user-friendly and intuitive in creating workflows and automating tasks

What is our primary use case?

I am a basic user, doing a data science course. I am using Knime more from a study perspective, rather than a practical work application. I am fairly competent with creating workflows and automating some basic things in Knime.

• "From a user-friendliness perspective, it's a great tool."
  • "If they had a more structured training model it would be very helpful."

What other advice do I have?

I am quite supportive of this product. It has been helpful in automating a few of my accounting activities. Digital groups such as Knime have great potential, but there needs to be more aggressiveness with marketing. There are many executives that do not know what Knime is. My journey starts by explaining what Knime is and what the functionalities are. I like Knime, and I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Benedikt Schwaiger
CEO at SMH - Schwaiger Management Holding GmbH
Aug 2, 2020
Stable and easy to set up with very good ETL features

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an ETL - to Extract, Transform, Load topics.

• "All of the features related to the ETL are fantastic. That includes the connectors to other programs, databases, and the meta node function."
  • "The predefined workflows could use a bit of improvement."

What other advice do I have?

We are KNIME partners and also provide KNIME training to clients as well. We're a startup, and we're in the startup phase, however, we are working to build more business relationships with KNIME. In my previous company, we were also partnered with KNIME. Currently, I'm working as a consultant and we have a customer who is using SAP Analytics, however, I am interested in learning more about the differences between KNIME and SAP Analytics. That's something I'm looking at right now. We would definitely recommend this solution to other organizations. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I don't…
Piotr Świątek
Test Engineer at ProData Consult
Sep 5, 2020
An impressive open-source product that is stable and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

I am advocating the use of this solution in my organization. I use it personally for my purposes and for the company, I use it for internal data science with very good results.

• "What I like the most is that it works almost out of the box with Random Forest and other Forest nodes."
  • "The documentation is lacking and it could be better."

What other advice do I have?

I am considering further courses and maybe some certification in the next year. I would strongly recommend KNIME. It's a modeling or statistics product that can be used by almost anyone with knowledge in the field. It works almost out of the box. For starters, it's approximately two hours of watching videos and/or reading the documentation, and then off you go. I built my first working model in two days when I started using KNIME, and it only needed to be tweaked. It was impressive. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Tseesuren Batsuuri
VP, Software and IT Service at ITZone LLC
Reseller
Apr 17, 2020
Easy to use and reasonably priced, but more training material needs to be made available

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and KNIME is a product that we are working on reselling to our customers. We sell BI tools such as Tableau and many of our customers that are using these tools need to have an AI solution. They have lots of use cases for AI including, for example, those from the financial sector would like to use AI for credit scoring. We also have government clients who will have their own specific use cases. We have not yet sold it to any of our customers because they are still using the free tools and we are promoting it based on that.

• "This solution is easy to use and it can be used to create any kind of model."
  • "KNIME needs to provide more documentation and training materials, including webinars or online seminars."

What other advice do I have?

Many of our customers have streaming data and want to use an AI model. We do not yet know whether KNIME will handle live-streaming and it is something that we intend to test. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Angus Lou
Head Of Business Solutions | Unmanned Shop | Automated Retail | AI | IoT | Robotic | Data Science at Smart Retail
Mar 16, 2020
Good data preparation and wrapping, but needs online training and more examples

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is shopping-basket analysis.

• "This solution is easy to use and especially good at data preparation and wrapping."
  • "It needs more examples, use cases, and MOOC to learn, especially with respect to the algorithms and how to practically create a flow from end-to-end."

What other advice do I have?

Official and structural online training is a must, which is now not enough. Or you can start something simple very easily but stuck to go deeper. However KNIME response is very prompt.
See 3 more KNIME Reviews
Download our free KNIME Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.