Meraki SD-WAN Review

Offers good optimization, load balancing, and auto VPN features

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for optimization, load balancing, and the different end links. We have a variety of customer enterprises that consist of small, medium, and large-size enterprise customers. More of our clients are moving to direct internet access, so we are getting rid of the current MPLS solutions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the traffic shaping, the security that is built into the routers on MX, they have a lot of customer performance classes, the visibility, and the auto VPN features.

What needs improvement?

They stopped doing WAN optimization as a feature set, which is now lacking. They need to relook at that and consider WAN optimization as an option.

I know that they have improved the security and have taken that off and that to me is critical on the MX. That's where they lack.

The reporting needs to be looked at. It needs to be more granular. The reporting on the actual solution isn't what the customers are wanting to get.

Scalability could improve to accommodate a larger enterprise.

In the next release, I would like to see the WAN optimization.

I have been using this solution for twelve years.

This solution is stable and I have not found any issues in particular.

This solution is scalable. It is not complex. On the Mx side, it could be a room for a high-end device and the highest you get is MX 450. It is scalable but it could improve for a larger enterprise.

The initial setup of this solution is easy. It is very intuitive when it comes to setups.

The deployment is very quick. We managed to roll out one hundred and sixty branches in a matter of a couple of months.

I don't deal with technical support directly, as I am on the design and retail side of things. As far as I understand, the technical support has been fairly competent. There haven't been any issues.

What other advice do I have?

The Meraki SD-WAN solution is simple to deploy.

You have to plan well and look at creating policies and create your templates prior to the installation.

What we found, was that while we were doing the implementation we were doing a lot of work. If we had planned before the actual implementation, then the entire rollout would have been much simpler.

The setup is simple but it terms of deployment, it is better to create your policies and the planning needs to be done prior to the actual deployment.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller.
More Meraki SD-WAN reviews from users