Meraki SD-WAN Overview

Meraki SD-WAN is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Software Defined Networking. It is most often compared to VMware SD-WAN: Meraki SD-WAN vs VMware SD-WAN

What is Meraki SD-WAN?

Software-defined WAN is a new approach to network connectivity that lowers operational costs and improves resource usage for multi-site deployments, allowing network administrators to use bandwidth more efficiently and ensure the highest possible level of performance for critical applications without sacrificing security or data privacy. For more information on deploying and configuring SD-WAN on the Meraki MX Security Appliance, see the Meraki SD-WAN Deployment Guide.

Meraki SD-WAN Buyer's Guide

Download the Meraki SD-WAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Meraki SD-WAN Customers

École Jeannine Manuel

Meraki SD-WAN Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Meraki SD-WAN pricing:
  • "The pricing is fair, but if they can make it less it would be even more attractive."
  • "Any license you buy until January 2021 gets you an extra year for that purchase."
  • "like everything else, it's negotiable."
  • "Meraki solutions come with a choice of several different subscription options including one year, three years, five years, seven years, and ten years."
  • "If you purchase a Meeraki box, you have to purchase a license, and it's already the basic license, you will have you SD-WAN included."

OA
EMEA Network Operations Team Lead at LafargeHolcim
Ultimate flexibility in this solution lends opportunities for creative problem solving and cost savings

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is providing services to clients. I work as a regional team lead for network operations. Part of the responsibilities include looking out for evolving technologies and leverage cost benefits while improving services. Because I overlook 1,600 sites within the organizations spread across 52 countries, we can use that buying power to influence pricing. When we started using Meraki in 2016, we were just experimenting. By virtue of the results that we got based on using Meraki — the flexibility coupled with the simplicity at the same time realizing that we would experience… more »

• "This product contributed to a huge benefit in our bottom line on operational costs."
  • "Meraki can react fast to emerging trends."
  • "t is very stable based on our experience and the application performance has been superb."
  • "Tech support is willing to go the extra mile to resolve issues."
  • "The VPN client could be improved."
  • "Meraki could make better use of virtual connect."
  • "Warm spare is a good failover solution but Meraki could do something more to handle failovers better."
  • "The default classes should be expanded."

What other advice do I have?

When looking at this type of solution, there are several things to consider that are useful to know before you begin your research. One: you have to have an understanding of the existing network. That is crucial. If you do not understand the existing structure of the network, it will be difficult to be able to adapt it. If you are planning to move into an SD-WAN, you want to look at replicating the existing network structure. So, the first thing is how flexible the solution is in being able to adapt to your existing architecture. Secondly: you have to look at how simple it is going to be to…
IT Manager at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
Enables us to get valuable information from the system without having to go into every single device

What is our primary use case?

I'm using Cisco Meraki, both for the firewall and software-defined network. For the time being, we are sort of picking out the best way to use it in terms of the number of licenses and what we actually need to be able to oversee and have control over — what we really need to do. We are still looking at what are the most essential parts and whether we should increase the number of licenses or just to keep what we already have at the moment. We are taking it step-by-step for now.

• "The most interesting feature is the amount of information you can get from overseeing the system from a centralized place."
  • "There could be more options for integration between other devices — sort of being able to more easily make everything integrated in one solution."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other people considering this as a solution is that I would probably just recommend them the same server and set up that we have. It sort of depends on what the person or the business needs. There are questions about how much control over it that you want to have, how much you really need to be able to oversee everything, et cetera. In terms of security issues, I think it is wonderful to be able to actually see where the pitfalls of our infrastructure are and stuff like that. But my gut feeling is I think I would probably just recommend the same system as we have. But the problem…
Learn what your peers think about Meraki SD-WAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AH
Group Network Specialist at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to manage with zero-touch configuration and good security features

• "I can manage it very well and in a very easy way."
  • "We'd like features that provide more transparency when there are issues. Right now, it's hard to get clarity on problems. We need more visibility."

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user. We have an SD-WAN technology that works on Cisco Meraki with MX appliances. Then we have a core appliance, from Core/Distribution and edge. These are all HP routers. We are using the latest version of the solution. We get automatic updates to the latest versions. While the solution is on-premises, it can be managed on the cloud. I would recommend the solution. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.
DB
Director Of Information Technology at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Allows you to control and direct traffic flawlessly

• "The advantage you have with Cisco Meraki is that they take a lot of that complexity out of the backend."
  • "There are literally things you cannot do at this point in a graphical user interface that can be done from a command line."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Meraki SD-WAN a rating of ten — it's been working flawlessly for us.
Owner at Tech Exchange
Allows you to control how traffic is directed and prioritized across multiple uplinks

What is our primary use case?

We have multiple ISP's connected, usually it's two. Two ISP's per site and we have to make sure that the site-to-site connectivity is managed and is maintained — the redundancy has to be maintained.

• "The seamless end-to-end setup is really what makes it beautiful; that's why Meraki is good."
  • "I think they should enhance the security."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Meraki SD-WAN a rating of eight. If they could do better on the performance side, that really would make a difference.
Network Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to manage, helps to optimize and prioritize network traffic

What is our primary use case?

We are a tech services company and the Meraki SD-WAN is one of the solutions that I provide to my customers and have experience with.

• "The most valuable feature is application performance monitoring and being able to browse packets dynamically based on priorities."
  • "The port density should be improved because this solution is limited to two."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a very good solution. I like products where you can deploy them and then go to sleep because they are watertight. It isn't going to give you headaches from support calls at 3:00 AM from a customer saying that the site is down. I definitely recommend that people look at the advantages of Meraki, and in particular, the Meraki SD-WAN because of the access to the cloud management interface. If you ever had a problem with SD-WAN then you do not have to drive to the corporate head office or use a VPN. You can always access the dashboard from anywhere, as long as you have the…
BM
CTO Training & Consulting at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
Intelligent load balancing that is easy to setup and implement, with good support

What is our primary use case?

It allows us to steer the traffic into two parallel links.

• "The most valuable features of this solution are load balancing and the security possibilities you have."
  • "Meraki is more or less intelligent load balancing, although a lot of features are missing that our SD-WAN solutions will have."

What other advice do I have?

For others who are interested in using Meraki SD-WAN, I would suggest that they know the limitations of the two uplinks and that it is not a separate solution. It's included in what you have. You will not have the same dashboard as you would have with the Cisco SD-WAN, or VeloCloud, VersaStack, etc. For a free solution, I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
VR
Network and Cyber Security Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Offers good optimization, load balancing, and auto VPN features

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for optimization, load balancing, and the different end links. We have a variety of customer enterprises that consist of small, medium, and large-size enterprise customers. More of our clients are moving to direct internet access, so we are getting rid of the current MPLS solutions.

• "The Meraki SD-WAN solution is simple to deploy."
  • "They stopped doing WAN optimization as a feature set, which is lacking. They need to relook at that and consider WAN optimization as an option."

What other advice do I have?

The Meraki SD-WAN solution is simple to deploy. You have to plan well and look at creating policies and create your templates prior to the installation. What we found, was that while we were doing the implementation we were doing a lot of work. If we had planned before the actual implementation, then the entire rollout would have been much simpler. The setup is simple but it terms of deployment, it is better to create your policies and the planning needs to be done prior to the actual deployment. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 13 more Meraki SD-WAN Reviews