Micro Focus Service Anywhere [EOL] Review

The simplicity of live support is a top feature since it has big data behind it.

What is most valuable?

From the user perspective - we don't use employee self-service, so I would consider a user the help desk agent. For them, it's the simplicity of live support as it has the big data behind it so as they're going through a transaction or a call with a staff member, they can enter the person's name and it shows past tickets. When they start putting in a title or description it gives them knowledge articles and the related tickets to the issue. They just love live support because it's got that big data behind it. They love the simplicity of the screens that they work with.

How has it helped my organization?

Because of the administration ability, being put into SaaS, we've now been able to spend time looking at other processes. Before we went to Service Anywhere, we did not have Operation Orchestrations so we weren't doing any kind of automation. Now that we have some time to look at processes in Service Anywhere it has an analytic engine. I guess it's called hot topics and we chose one of our hot topics which to us was a cash machine. We had a lot of failures on cash machines so we looked at that and said, "Okay, how we can help the help desk solve those quicker?" We looked at using automation for it, and now the help desk has better visibility of the cash machines. We can automatically fix some problems, but if we can't fix it with automation then we've given feedback of what's going on which helps to troubleshoot quicker. That's been a transformation.

The CI detection within Service Anywhere, that's part of the big data. If they enter a CI that’s known in the database then it pops up with a little window around the CI in the description. If you hover over that, it will show you more information about that CI. An example would be we have a lot of ATM's. Before Service Anywhere when they would be doing a call on an ATM, they would have the service manager open up on one window. On another window they'd have the ATM information open and then they'd have to do a copy paste or a manual enter the information. Now we use UCMDB to pull that information into UCMDB, push it into Service Anywhere. Now when that CI is detected they can hoover over that CI detection and it gives them all that information. Less clicks, faster information, more complete information. It's just all there part of the ticket.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see better ways of getting reports into a paper copy which means the ability to export into Excel. They've got a little bit of an issue there with rich text fields not being able to. The suggestion is using what's called the BI integrator to go directly after the data in the database. We're just implementing that now, but I don't know how that's going to work for us yet. If it works then that's not a problem. If the BI integration works then I'm not going to complain about it, but that's an enhancement I wish was there.

The way the big data pushes information to the technician or the agent. One of the enhancement requests we've put in is we wish that we could prioritize what is spit up in front of the agent. Right now, sometimes non-important information is pushed in front of them. The knowledge article that they're looking for is down further. We need a way to give weight to a knowledge article or give weight to something else to make it pop to the top. That's something I'd like to see enhanced.

We've been using it for a little over a year and a half.

In the year and a half we've been using it, we had a couple problems with email notifications not going out. They've fixed that, and what I see in their forwarding pathway in the next release that it is supposed to have a lot of built in monitoring and performance enhancements so I'm really expecting that to help with the stability even more.

It's been pretty stable. Like I said, the new features that are coming out in the next release will allow a monitor to be turned on from the user sitting at their desktop and it will help them determine if the slowness is us at the desktop level, or if it's something in the network, or if it's something on the SaaS part. The stability part, I'm impressed with what they're doing with that.

The thing I think about is as more customers come on board how is that going to be handled? I have every faith in HPE so they'll handle us.

Excellent. We have an HPE partner for our support. If it's something that they can't answer they ask HPE for the answers. Most of my support comes out of a partner, but I know they work directly with HPE. I do have the ability to log a ticket directly with SaaS which we do once in a while. Some of our problems have been put into enhancement requests. I love their support.

We were using Service Manager previously.

What other advice do I have?

We're a small group compared to a lot of other organizations. We're 2400 employees, 150 IT, 15 agents so we're small. We love it, and I know of big companies that are 40-50,000 people that are using it so the scalability there. Just the use of big data is a game changer for us. Anybody that asks me if they ought to go to Service Anywhere I say yes.

More Micro Focus Service Anywhere [EOL] reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, ServiceNow, BMC and others in Help Desk Software. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.