Microsoft DPM Review

Great features and functions flawlessly; integration with other products is not sufficient

What is our primary use case?

My work is on the customer side. I analyze a company's situation and figure out what's best for them from a cost perspective and an installation perspective. I'm a customer of Microsoft and managing director of the company.

What is most valuable?

I would definitely recommend data protection DPM. It has an application backup, a file backup, a system backup and a hypervisor. It works flawlessly, never a problem.

What needs improvement?

They could improve the compatibility and integration with other products and the ability to do file-to file backups of other products. I also find the hard disk aligning quite complicated and that should be simplified.

I've been using this solution for nine years.

The scalability of the solution is fine for Microsoft products, but there are issues when it comes to backing up other databases because I cannot take the file-to-file backup which creates some problems.

From the time you purchase the support they're there to help you. The price is good and that helps. There isn't a price match for DPM right now in the market.

Deployment time depends on the user case; how many servers you have, etc. However, the basic installation can probably be done in two or three hours. Configuration depends on the products you're backing up, how many there are and the number of servers. I have my own team for deployment and I'm also Microsoft certified.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Microsoft DPM as it is a cost-effective solution that works. It's worth checking the limitations of DPM before deployment, which can be done by reading the documentation. Make sure it's suitable for your needs and that it's going to work for you.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
More Microsoft DPM reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft DPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.