Microsoft DPM Review

Good search capability and supports full-system backup

What is our primary use case?

This solution is part of our main disaster recovery as well as long term recovery solution policy. It will work on physical and virtual machines.

How has it helped my organization?

Moving to this solution has improved our backup capability. Zerto is only able to replicate virtual machines whereas DPM is capable of backing up everything.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that DPM has an index so individual files can be searched. This is our primary tool for recovering deleted files or folders. Once we implement a System Center Operations Manager, all of our DPM servers can then be seen on one dashboard.

What needs improvement?

Additional Hyper-V knowledge would be great. There are some articles online detailing the interaction with hypervisors. Using the built-in tools would speed up some of the normal routine procedures.

I have been using Microsoft DPM for over three years.

It is a stable product.

DPM is easily scalable. There is a database stored on a SQL server in which the size needs to be monitored.

Prior to using DPM, we used Zerto.

Zerto has a fast recovery of entire machines whereas DPM has an index so individual files can be searched. DPM is capable of backing up both physical and virtual machines.

There were some quirks in the initial setup. I needed to make certain the SQL versions and reporting was completely patched but not necessarily updated. DPM is only happy with certain versions so do not upgrade SQL to the latest and greatest. Follow guidelines laid out on the Microsoft-DPM web sites.

More Microsoft DPM reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft DPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.