Microsoft Dynamics NAV Review

Is highly flexible and functional, but auditing control needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Dynamics NAV gets used for our internal financial services. It's the main finance application for us. We use it as our ERP software.

What is most valuable?

I have found the flexibility to be very valuable. It's highly flexible, and at least for us, it has been effective. It is also highly functional.

A regular consultant will be able to do a lot more than that with some of the other platforms. With SAP, you may need a specialized consultant for each module. You won't get one person who is an expert in multiple modules that can do a lot of work easily. This is not the case with Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

So, it's cost effective in terms of price and maintenance as well. You get resources that are very helpful, and the application by itself is very flexible.

It's stable and scalable at small to medium load requirements.

What needs improvement?

Some of the control aspects such as auditing can definitely be improved. For example, auditing is not very easy, and the user permissions are complicated.

Also, Materials Management is a bit limited.

At the moment, I definitely want them to scale up and make audit control easy to manage.

Some of the code should be optimized for better performance.

I've been using it for 10 years.

I think we have around 1,000 NAV users with a peak load of around 400 to 500 users. At that load, our systems are actually stable.

It's being used in multiple use cases, whether it's small, medium, or large organizations. Because of the flexibility, it works in many of the use cases, but in large organizations where you need better structure, high scalability, and performance, SAP has a better profile.

We work very closely with technical support. I'm satisfied, but I won't say that it's great; it's just good. They are engaged with us, but there are times when we do not get the solution that we are looking for, and at other times, it just takes time. In general, the best part is that they're easily accessible and that they're supportive.

I think the pricing is the best; it's cost effective for sure.

What other advice do I have?

We used SAP in my previous organization, and in this organization, we're on Microsoft Dynamics NAV. SAP is highly structured, and at times, it doesn't let you customize it the way you would want to. However, Microsoft Dynamics NAV provides a little bit of flexibility.

I think it's a decent product to evaluate. If you have use cases with small to medium load requirements, Microsoft Dynamics NAV is a good option. You can do other configurations as well with it.

However, if you have an excess load of 1,000 or 1,000 plus users, you would definitely need to look for a more enterprise solution like SAP or AX.

With Microsoft Dynamics NAV, Materials Management is a bit limited. So if you're a small organization and have resources to manage that kind of thing, this solution will be cost effective.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Microsoft Dynamics NAV at seven.

More Microsoft Dynamics NAV reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Dynamics NAV. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,226 professionals have used our research since 2012.