Microsoft Intune Review

Great for our update needs, operating system version updates, and security policy enforcement

What is our primary use case?

I'm a senior information security analyst and a customer of Intune.

How has it helped my organization?

Before having Intune, we didn't have the capability to have computers wiped. I couldn't manage the operating system from a central location and wasn't able to deploy policies and verify software updates. It's helped with software update needs, operating system version update needs, and security policy enforcement.

What is most valuable?

The support is excellent for this solution and the configurations are a good feature.

What needs improvement?

There are some enrollment features that could be improved, possibly some other tools that do almost the same job with alternative ways to enroll the device. Intune doesn't have those features. Additionally, I think they could try to invest more on macOS devices making it more manageable, and making the management more accurate. A solution like Jamf, for example, gives you the greatest capability - more capability on management, on policy enforcement, wiping devices, locking devices, and many other things. This is the main reason I'm not using Intune for all the contractors now and the reason we're planning to have Jamf implemented at the beginning of 2021.

If they could improve the support on the macOS devices, it would be great. Then we wouldn't need to buy Jamf. I'm not sure it's possible because of the relationship the enterprise has with Apple, but if they could improve the macOS management, that would be great.

I've been using this solution for about two years.

The solution is very stable, we don't have any problems with the platform itself. We had a problem a few weeks ago with the whole Azure provider system which affected not only Intune, but most Microsoft services. This was the biggest problem I've had with Intune, no problems with the platform or instabilities.

I'm not able to scale because of the issues with macOS management. We really have some needs here that Jamf Pro covers more efficiently than Intune does. We are trying to work it to have Intune on Mac systems, but we need to install something extra to make that work. We were looking for a more transparent tool in order to get this enrollment done by a central console, and not have to install other tools on the computers. Jamf does that, so we essentially don't need to install any kind of tool. You just need to enroll your device using a URL and it's done. Scalability in relation to the entire Windows or Android or iPhone environments can be done without a problem. We have around 2000 computers. In my previous job we had 55,000 PCs, and they were all Windows.

We had four analysts working on implementation and we now have two people dealing with day-to-day maintenance. For now, we won't continue installing Intune on macOS. We'll just keep them on Windows, Android, and iPhone and we'll go through the macOS with Jamf Pro.

With Microsoft, everything is on the community and easily accessible. Jamf Pro also provides a very, very, good support team. They have engineers, and depending on the support you buy or the support agreement you make with them, you can have a personal engineer working with you 24/7. Both tools have very good support teams.

It's really simple to implement Intune. Everything is already deployed on the cloud and you get everything you need. If you have a Windows 10, you can perform this connection from the Windows control panel and it's quite easy. We are now working to get the Android and iOS cell phones enrolled as well. We are on a pilot right now for macOS. Computers running macOS are already in a pilot period. We're just verifying that everything works well. We're also proceeding with the implementation for the macOS computers as well. Deployment took one or two weeks and I did it myself.

In Brazil, we need a partner to get a license. The partner communicates with Microsoft and provides us with the license. We have a monthly contract which is paid annually and we have a three-year contract with Intune.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a complete Windows workstation environment, Intune is fine. But if you have a mixed environment like I do, running Windows and Mac, Jamf Pro is the best tool to manage an Apple environment. The reason we chose Jamf is because it integrates to Intune. In a single panel you can have all the inventory you need, either from Mac computers or Windows computers, because they send the information to the Intune platform. This was the main reason we chose Jamf.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
More Microsoft Intune reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware Workspace ONE
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Intune. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,975 professionals have used our research since 2012.