Microsoft Intune Review

A scalable solution to easily lockdown applications on mobile devices

What is our primary use case?

I use Microsoft Intune to manage iPhone devices that we currently deploy to the end-users, and I manage all that. Right now, we're running close to about 60 devices.

But eventually, what we want to do is go ahead and enroll the Windows platform on that as well because there's only one license per user that can deploy up to five devices. That is going to be my next migration roadmap. We're going to be managing laptops through it as well. So it would be Windows 10 platform along with the iPhones.

What is most valuable?

I like how Microsoft Intune lets me lock down the email profile and make it accessible only on certain devices. I also like how one user license allows up to five devices.

What needs improvement?

I'm still playing around with it and haven't had any issues with the product yet, but support can definitely be improved.

I have been using Microsoft Intune for about eight months.

I would say that it's a stable solution.

It's definitely scalable because one single-user license can allow up to five devices to be added. We're going to be rolling some laptops out, and we can definitely work with either an Android or an iPhone. It doesn't matter which device.

It's scalable to that point, and the fact that only one user license will allow up to five devices, I think that's something that we would be looking to do, and we're definitely happy with it.

I've dealt with Microsoft way too many times, and needless to say, I'm not too fond of Microsoft support most of the time. I've always had a better experience with Workspace ONE and VMware, and they're very good with their support. Microsoft support can definitely use a lot of improvement.

With Apple Business Management, we can pre-deploy everything, and we can manage everything on the phones with the lockdown. With Workspace ONE, I couldn't lock down the email profile and make it accessible only on certain devices.

Especially with Office 365, this became the biggest issue because we couldn't lock down the profiles per device space. When I worked with VMware, I worked with Microsoft Office for a couple of weeks continuously to figure out a solution and couldn't find one.

That's when we decided to go with Microsoft Intune management because we could lock it down to just those devices. Otherwise, it was locked, and our tenant is a government tenant, and we don't allow any external access to our tenant.

That was the issue I was having with Workspace ONE. Workspace One couldn't integrate Office 365 applications the way I wanted it to.

The initial setup was straightforward. I actually prefer Microsoft Intune over VMware Workplace ONE because it's a bit more complicated. The setup was also easy because I've worked with Intune before.

It's not a server license. It's an end-user license. Because it's an end-user subscription and it's on a monthly basis, and because we're a government tenant and have a lot more scalability and users, we use it monthly.

We work with the subscription rather than a server license. I think it's economical this way because we don't have to have a server license for that, and I think that works in our favor.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely say that you need to work with Apple Business Manager first. If you don't set up that account first, you will run into some issues, especially if you're doing a managed profiles on it.

Just make sure you do your homework before you get started because there are a lot of prerequisites. If you miss them and you don't do it, then you run into issues, and then you're literally recreating the same work you've already done.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Intune an eight.

More Microsoft Intune reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware Workspace ONE
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Intune. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.