Microsoft Intune Review

A cloud-based mobile device management solution with a good conditional access feature

What is our primary use case?

I work for Mastersystem Infotama who is a Microsoft partner. I am an engineer, and I deploy Microsoft Intune in several companies. Our customers use Intune for their mobile device management. We also use Intune to protect devices accessing the application's corporate data. First, you must be compliant with the same criteria. If users connect with the corporate IP address, they only connect with username and password. But if they connect from a coffee shop IP address or IP addresses that aren't corporate, they will have to engage in multi-factor authentication.

What is most valuable?

I like that we can implement conditional access. Microsoft has conditional access for mobile device management, and we can categorize it as a corporate application or a personal application. We can protect it so users cannot copy from the corporate application to the personal application, but users can copy from the personal application to the corporate application.

We can also make one file with different permission for different people. The name of the feature is Microsoft Azure Information Protection. We can configure it to help the user work from home. They can download the file, and they can operate this file in another place, but the corporate organization still protects it.

We can also protect user access from a mobile phone. They cannot save the file to internal storage for the mobile phone. They only can save the file to OneDrive or SharePoint drive.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if Microsoft can reduce the cost of the license. as we know the Intune device subscription is licensed per device at a cost of $2 a month. but for the best to enhanced security and feature we must added add-on license or buy/upgrade to bundling license such as M365E5.

Microsoft Intune is a core product, and it's very stable

Scalability is good. It can adopt Android and iOS and manage macOS. We couldn't support macOS two years ago, but now we can.

Technical support is good. We get help from Microsoft support. For Microsoft Intune, if we buy the license, we can get support for free. We can create tickets for the problems. We can also report the problem in the Microsoft portal.

Microsoft Intune is essentially software as a service for mobile device management. To configure Microsoft Intune, we only have to register the domain name and register the DNS. We can log in to enroll the device with Microsoft Intune. After we register the DNS and the domain name, we configure the policies. All policies like user access and permissions. After that, the admin can send the license to every user.

The configuration takes one to five days. But it takes a long time to educate the users on how they can use it. This is because some things change after we implement Intune. Users may complain that they can't do what they did before, but it's better from a security perspective.

Microsoft will maintain it. The customer only maintains the policy and the license.

The price could be better. Microsoft Intune pricing is based on the number of users. Every user license is for 15 devices. consists of 5 devices for PC (Windows or Mac), 5 tablets, and 5 mobile phones (Android and iOS).

My customers already know and use Microsoft, so they adopted Intune. They use Office 365 for secure collaboration between organizations. Microsoft is the preferred choice and has user confidence to work together securely.

MobileIron has two types of licenses. One is a SaaS-based model, and they provide support, and the other is a license for the on-premise solution. Microsoft Intune offers only a cloud solution.

What other advice do I have?

If a customer already uses a Microsoft solution like Microsoft Office, or an email solution like Microsoft Exchange, it's better to use Microsoft Intune. But if they want an on-premise solution, they can choose another solution like  Mobile Iron or Airwatch solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Intune a nine.

More Microsoft Intune reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware Workspace ONE
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Intune. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.