MongoDB Review

Easy to set up and helpful for storing unstructured data, but the performance could be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use MongoDB in different products. The first is a Business Process Management System (BPMS) that we have developed for ourselves. MongoDB stores all of the data for business flow management.

The second product is in the capital market. We have implemented it to use all of the stock-related data.

We have also developed an online shipping product, using MongoDB for storing product features.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you can store unstructured data, which is helpful when you don't know what the best structure should be and you cannot use a relational database because of that. For example, in our online shopping product, different products have different features and there is no structure for all of the data.

The usability is good.

Compared to a relational database, the performance is good.

What needs improvement?

The performance can be improved. While it is good compared to relational-type databases, it could still be improved.

Stability-wise, there is some room for improvement.

I have been working with MongoDB for between four and five years.

If you take care of the application and check everything then it will be stable. However, if you do not maintain it properly and do not have support then stability will be a problem.

We have not tried to scale our implementation of MongoDB.

We do not have direct support for this product. Instead, we have used the community-based resources that are available on the internet. For example, we have searched for questions and taken advice from the community in order to resolve our problems.

We may have used InfluxDB for some reason but I don't recall any of the details.

The initial setup is simple and not a problem to complete. I don't recall the exact length of time that it took to deploy, but I think that it was completed within one or two days.

We deployed MongoDB ourselves.

We have two administrators who maintain and work with it on a daily basis.

We use the open-source version, which is available to use free of charge.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering MongoDB is that when we want to have flexibility in storing our data, I recommend using it. We can store anything, in any format, in any size, and accessing the data is the same speed. In the case where you have structured data or it is in a unique format, this is not the product that you use.

In summary, this is a good product and it has been very useful for our purpose.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More MongoDB reviews from users
...who compared it with Oracle NoSQL
Learn what your peers think about MongoDB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.