MongoDB Review

Scales well and is easy to replicate but needs more stable indexes

What is our primary use case?

I use it mainly for development. It's a plain document database that maps adjacent data structures. It doesn't cost us that much to integrate. It scales well and it's easy to replicate. It's very easy to set up and it's very easily monitored.

What needs improvement?

The solution is known for not requiring people to set a root password when you set it up, so it has leaked data, like a feed, and it's the first thing I need to teach everyone that sets the system up. There was a story out of China where there were 100 known users that were being monitored by the government and there was a MongoDB cluster. They forgot to set a root password so it was publicly available and that kinda happens over and over again so people need to at least supply some basic securities.

Training would be very good, at least to get some basic production level set up. People need to figure it out because just setting one up is easy, but then you need to get a replica going and that's hard and then getting performers ready and that's even tougher and somewhere along the way people tend to forget about security. Every month some major company forgets to set the password.

More stable indexes would be helpful in a future release. That's been an issue for some time. I don't know if it's been fixed now but we transitioned to it because we needed a search index to be able to search for things and if that goes or starts disappearing, we have to move away from that solution. I don't know if they fixed it, last time I had this issue was three years ago so they might have solved it.

I've been using the solution for about four years.

The solution is completely stable.

Scalability seems good. I've never been even close to finding the limits. I've run a couple of notes of redundancy but I've never had any problems with scalability.

I have never been in contact with the people who developed MongoDB. I've never bought any support from them or had any issues. When we've run into something like scalability or other issues, we've always managed to figure it out on our own. The community's also fairly strong so technical support isn't something we've needed.

I use Kubernetes. These are management tools where you can select which items you'd like to install first and you basically just provide what kind of features you want to be activated and how many nodes you want to be activated in the database. I would install it as part of a Kubernetes cluster and it's pretty straightforward because the chart, as its called, is managed by and used by thousands of people so I don't need to know exactly how to set up every single bit of it.

It's also all very automated, which makes it easy. In fact, I use it a lot in teaching as well because it's very easy to set up.

My first foray into MongoDB was actually when I started using a Google data store which is very similar. We ran into problems because we didn't have any search or solutions for it. We switched over to MongoDB because that had the basic search engines we needed so we can actually get some basic search going and be able to scale out.

We didn't do a technology selection. We just had other technologies that didn't pan out so we gradually moved into MongoDB.

What other advice do I have?

The solution scales very well and is very easy to replicate.

If you need something done quickly and you need something that does scale fairly well I would suggest MongoDB. You can always transition away from it later on. It's always a solid first bet if you want a simpler kind of web page or web system. It's a very solid choice if you want to get up and running quickly. It's my go-to for all these little startups that I manage.

MongoDB seems to give just exactly what we need and I find most of my clients have never transitioned away from MongoDB.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.