Nagios Core Review

Efficient and easy to manage with good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for monitoring ops for computers and our server. We're considering adding other device monitoring as well and at points of sale.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite efficient.

The system's alerts are quite good.

The solution is very complete and mostly easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

The latest version is a bit more difficult. There have been some changes that have not really improved the solution.

We have a new manager coming in, and they will watch and see over the course of the year if the solution needs any specific improvements. We're still in the process of testing the solution.

The implementation and deployment might need to be slightly improved.

It would be nice if the company offered a sales or contract manager that was dedicated to our company so that we would have some sort of link to Nagios, and if we had issues or questions, we'd be able to contact them directly.

It would be good if the solution had some sort of alarm system to alert managers to any issues. We get good alerts, they just need to get to the right person more efficiently.

We've used the solution over the last 10 months or so. It's been almost a year. We initiated the product in 2020.

The stability of the solution is quite good. We haven't had any issues per se. It's been reliable.

We haven't had any issues with scalability. If a company needs to expand it, it should be able to.

We have about 100 hosts and about 10 servers at this point and maybe 19 at the point of sale.

We don't really have technical support from the solution. We rely instead on learning the solution and focusing on documentation if we need assistance. There's also a community online that's quite helpful.

Their documentation is very complete and they have pretty good policies in place.

We did previously use a different solution. We still use it. It continues to monitor our network. We have a new CTO that is looking to make changes. We're evaluating more economical options.

The installation is initially a little bit complex.

The process took several months. Originally, we were using Linux systems.

We didn't have installers or another company assist us. We handled the implementation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Nagios.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

We're still in the early days in terms of usage. We're still feeling the solution out and testing it for its acceptability within the greater framework of our organization's requirements. We're looking to test it at the point of sale to see how successfully it operates.

Overall, I would recommend the solution to other organizations.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

More Nagios Core reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Nagios, Zabbix, Centreon and others in Network Monitoring Software. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.