Netezza Review

It's an easy-to-use data warehouse appliance, but it doesn't support correlated queries.

What is most valuable?

• Zonemap features
  • AMPP (SMP+MPP ) architecture
  • High availability
  • Field-Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs)

How has it helped my organization?

The Netezza deployment is easy, and there is less administration and coding than in other databases.

What needs improvement?

• Correlated queries are not supported.
  • Concurrency - the performance dips with number of concurrent queries; for example, if more than 48 queries are run concurrently, it queues up.
  • Scalability - if the data increases, you need to go for a bigger appliance as you cannot add to Netezza incrementally.

I've used it for two-and-a-half years.

Some minor SPU communication issues with IP protocol.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

They deliver the products to customers faster and with greater accuracy, i.e. within the agreed-upon due date.

Netezza already had a excellent customer satisfaction and the rating would be 8/10.

We previously used Oracle then migrated to Netezza because its deployment is easy, and there is less administration and coding when compared to Oracle. Also, the query performance is excellent in Netezza.

It is very straightforward because Netezza's initial setup took less than two days and the entire data set was loaded onto the Netezza appliance to which users had full access to the system.

Netezza is an easy-to-use data warehouse appliance. It's extremely fast with a low cost and the customers run their BI and advanced analytics in a very flexible manner.

We also looked at Teradata.

What other advice do I have?

Netezza should have enough advantages with implementation, i.e time to deployment, price, performance, and the ability to integrate with the existing environment.