Netezza Review

It is very fast which makes our life easier to run huge queries for analytics.

Valuable Features:

We use Aginity to access Netezza database. We really like the way we can dominate the physical distribution of the data hence know how to improve the performance of the query. Netezza on its own is very fast which makes our life easier to run huge queries for analytics.

Improvements to My Organization:

This has really helped us to improve the performance of our Data Marts and warehouses. We can run our reports very quickly. It has also improved the turn around time of business requests.

Room for Improvement:

In Aginity there should be a way to format the SQL queries. I think we can't format the query the way we can do it in Oracle editor (beautifier). Say, for example, if we are trying to get the DDL of an existing view, we lost the formatting. It's a minor issue, but important from usability point of view. Other than this, I think we are good so far with Netezza as a whole.

Use of Solution:

We have been using this product from last 5 years.

Deployment Issues:

We did not experience any issues.

Stability Issues:

We haven't had any issues.

Scalability Issues:

We've not experienced any issues.

Other Advice:

If volume is the issue, use Netezza. Nothing is better than this product.

4 Comments
DBA Manager at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employeesReal User

Netezza box is pretty reliable but we also encountered slowness issues with user doing large queries.

21 September 16
Sr Technical Specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employeesReal User

It's important how the query is build. In my experience most users don't understand the power of distributed key.

08 October 16
Orlee GillisConsultant

Divya, can you make any recommendation(s) on how to build the queries?

09 October 16
Senior Systems Executive at a tech services company with 10,001+ employeesConsultant

Use organizing keys and zone maps to help in filtering data and table scans.
Choose the right type of data types especially on the join columns
Join the tables on distribution keys - benefits co-located joins - avoids re-distribution of data

11 April 17