Netezza Review

Over 90 percent of our query executions are one second or less. We do millions of queries everyday.

What is our primary use case?

We use it primarily for analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• It is hands-off when everything works well.
  • We are able to execute very complex queries.
  • It has good performance.

What needs improvement?

Our main problem with it is concurrency. When there are too many users running Netezza at the same time, this is when we have the most complaints.

More than five years.

Stability-wise, the product has improved. Netezza has improved the product over the past 10 years. We now have better monitoring and can be more proactive about detecting issues.

We have come to the point where we need to watch out for our capacity, as we are adding more users onboard with Netezza. We are not able to scale. The only way to scale is to get another appliance, but we have a customers who would need us to hydrate the data between the two appliances, and Netezza does not do that.

We are looking at the cloud approach, but we still have applications on-premise that we have to support.

The technical support has degraded overtime, especially after Netezza was bought by IBM. It appears as if some of the Netezza's SMEs left after IBM bought them.

We were previously using Oracle Database. We switched for performance reasons and running complex queries. Compared to Oracle, Netezza has superior performance.

The initial setup was very complex. However, this can be attributed to our environment and the complexity of the business which we process.

The pricing is very expensive. It has a lot CPUs with a lot of components in it. It also has built-in redundancy for resiliency reasons. I believe that's why it is so expensive.

We did look at some other analytics platforms a few years back.

We are now looking at solutions due to scalability, such as: Db2 Warehouse, Exadata, Teradata, and Yellow Brick. Then, on the cloud side, we are considering Redshift and Snowflake.

What other advice do I have?

Get the requirements and have them finalized. Then, be very specific about the requirements that your organization needs. Based upon your requirements:

1. Identify whether Netezza will be suitable for your requirements.
  2. Get the sizing right.