NETSCOUT nGeniusONE Review

We're able to trace issues in near real-time for our customers, when they report problems

What is our primary use case?

We're using the tool to monitor our LTE and 3G core networks, as well as our 5G connection.

How has it helped my organization?

We're in the wireless space and it does help us with our deployments, especially when we launch new services. We have a lot better visibility.

The solution is very helpful. We're in the support side of the house, doing operations. It makes our workflow a lot easier, being able to very quickly - in near real-time - trace things for our customers when they report issues. It helps us get to root cause quickly. A lot of the issues that we face are interlocution between different vendors. This helps us capture that data and provide it to both vendors, as well as analyze it, ourselves, against the specs. It has cut our overall troubleshooting time. These vendor interlocution situations have gone from a couple of weeks to a couple of days.

We have seen a measurable decrease in mean time to know and mean time to repair. I would estimate it at about 20 percent, overall.

What is most valuable?

The fact that it's able to capture and store packets from the wires is very useful for troubleshooting with our vendors, when issues do come up. It's valuable that we have that overall data for them.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see more data expert capabilities. That's one of the big things we're looking forward to, with the release of the KAFKA exports, and expanding the kind of data we can both import and export with the system.

Also, for individual subscriber tracings, sometimes it does not capture all the messages. There is a little bit of room for improvement there.

It's very stable. It's very rare that there are any issues that are attributable to the NETSCOUT product.

My impressions of the scalability of the solution are positive. We've grown greatly as a company, and it's kept up with our needs.

Technical support is very good. Our support engineers from NETSCOUT have been very easy to work with, and always very helpful.

Our move to a new solution was based on the user reports we get. When we heard about traces not being available or tools being unreliable, we started looking at different vendors.

We had NETSCOUT before and switched to another vendor, The Now Factory, which has since been acquired by IBM. The user feedback was pretty immediate. We switched to that solution, and within six months it was very clear that it wasn't the right path and we actually switched back to NETSCOUT for a lot of our network monitoring needs.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. It's a stand-alone product so we didn't have to spend much time getting ready. We got the probes deployed and the system, and that was great.

We did it ourselves.

I'd say we've seen return on investment. It's helped us, just from a customer satisfaction point of view. Fixing customer issues faster translates to better retention. Overall, I think the solution has helped us retain more of our customers.

Cost is probably the biggest drawback. Compared to some of the newer vendors that have popped up in the space, it's definitely more on the expensive side. It shows its value, though, in the reliability of the solution, the support that we get from NETSCOUT. It's been able to keep its value, even in the face of the cheaper competition.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good, stable solution. The people behind this know LTE very well, they know how the data flows and what we're looking at. The product, as a whole, works very well for the wireless carrier.

We don't have the single pane of glass view yet, but we are very excited about being where we can get that end-to-end. We're using RS and nGeniusOne right now, which are two different views, but we want to get to nSA and have the single pane.

In terms of our application network uptime, at least in the way that we're using it, I wouldn't say that the solution has helped directly. When we have had problems, it's helped us get the vendors the information they need. But overall, I don't think the application itself has directly affected uptime, in our case.

I would rate the solution a ten out of ten. It does what it needs to do, and it works really well at that functionality.

Be In Touch to Learn More