Oracle Database Appliance Review

Let a product do what it does best and this product is very good with its base purpose

What is our primary use case?

We use the histories to make reports like the MIS (Management Information System) reports. Mainly it is a database.

What is most valuable?

I think the most valuable part of the Oracle Database Appliance is just the ability to use the database. We make the reports on our own and let Oracle do what it does best.

What needs improvement?

We try to operate through the ODI, or Oracle Data Integrator, to maintain data integration. We have plans to use Visual I/O for data mapping, data flow, and things like that. Oracle could improve the capabilities for visualizing without other, third-party tools. But it is OK.

We are not looking for any new features in the product. Whatever additional utility we need we have been able to do using Hadoop for now. For us, the product can stay the same. The only way it can improve is by doing even better with integrations to other products like Hadoop.

The company has been using this product since before I came here. It has been in use for a very long time. I would say it is maybe 10 years or more.

Over the course of these ten years, I would say that this product has been stable.

We have recently moved the Oracle Database to work with SAP (Systems Applications and Products in Data Processing). We did this because we are planning to start now to scale up. We have a very good profile now to work with. I think scalability is good.

I think we already have 100 users working with this product in their organizations. We are planning to scale up.

Most of the time we are doing the technical support by ourselves. When Oracle does not offer much support, we have to do it by ourselves.

We started with Oracle. We did not use another product before that.

The initial setup is easy to do because we have the ability to do it in house. We are able to deploy this product by ourselves, without an integrator. That suggests it is easy enough to do.

We have a team of six people that we need for deployment and for maintenance.

There are no additional costs beyond the standard licensing fees.

It is not a product we evaluated to use instead of Oracle, but we have some small products we use with it to enhance the functionality and capabilities. For example, we use Hadoop for data modeling and other things. We plan to keep on using Oracle Database Appliance and we will do our data mining with Hadoop. We saw there was reason to use Hadoop with Oracle to have a better overall solution.

What other advice do I have?

I think for people interested in using Oracle Appliance the main thing is to rely on Oracle for the bigger stuff that it does. Maybe it cannot provide the kind of reports that we want. This is how we have determined the importance of Hadoop to our processes. Hadoop is part of my recommendation to other users who try this product. Oracle can do what it does best and Hadoop can help with reporting on the data. For other use cases, companies may need a different solution to enhance what Oracle provides — to complete one small part of the picture. When you find it, you should use it.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is worst and ten is best), I would rate Oracle Database Appliance as an eight-out-of-ten.

More Oracle Database Appliance reviews from users