Jt hjyjg 400x400

Oracle Solaris Review
I've worked with different flavors of Unix, but I chose Solaris. I like the constant innovation in the software and hardware.

1,483

Valuable Features:

The most valuable features for me are:

Virtualization (Containers, Zones, Security, PDOM's, LDOM's)

Performance, ZFS, Debugging with Dtrace

Improvements to My Organization:

I've worked with servers E25k, T5, M5, M5-32 and some other older servers. All of them have excellent performance in virtualization, zones, and LDOMs.

Solaris lets you isolate zones and migrate them to other servers. You can also move old releases of OS's from obsolete hardware to containers installed in new hardware.

Room for Improvement:

There are some areas that could use some improvement. As with Solaris 10, you can install Solaris 11 on SPARC and x86 systems, but the number of non-Oracle x86 systems certified up to this point is less that with the previous version. In spite of that, you can still install Solaris 11 on a varied number of systems as 'bare metal' or you can resort to virtualization via many of the softwares available for that in the market. The certification of third-party hardware is usually a lengthy process and requires a lot of resources, so it would be understandable if this takes a long time.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for more than fifteen years. I started working on release 2.5.1, 2.6, 7, 8, 9, 10, up to the latest version 11, which I currently use.

Solaris 10 had the largest number of changes in the area of administration, particularly services (FMRI), but Solaris 11 really changed everything or almost everything about how to write commands in the OS administration.

Deployment Issues:

I've never had big problems with the implementation of any releases. Solaris guarantees its binary compatibility with previous releases for each version.

Clusters are more complex, but after finalizing the configuration, they don't require too much attention.

Stability Issues:

Solaris is very stable, and most of the "panics" are caused by third-parties, generally when information security applications add modules into the kernel or when some hardware failure occurs.

Scalability Issues:

Oracle Sparc servers are the best for scalability. With Solaris, for example ZFS, it's a filesystem of 128 bits that allows storage of 256 trillion zettabytes, metadata are assigned dynamically, so it's not necessary to assign nodes beforehand or to limit the filesystem scalability when it's created. The directory can have up to 256 billion entries and there isn't a limit to the number of filesystem or file that may be in ZFS.

Customer Service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, by phone and web service where you can open a case, upload files, and an engineer can be assigned in less 3 hours depending on severity of the case.

The technical staff and field engineers who interact with customers are really professional, capable, have very good dispositions and they work with a high level of excellence.

Previous Solutions:

I worked on various Unix systems, but I feel very comfortable working on Solaris. I'm aware of the evolution of Linux systems in the world because of the cost, but I don't feel the need to change for the time because this OS offers me compatibility and scalability that the company needs where I work.

Initial Setup:

When I decided the work on the Solaris platform, it was a personal decision. I didn't stop other Unix systems becuase of the complexity of these OS's, but rather by a timely challenge I had to build a cluster between 2 nodes of SunFire 6800. After that the E25k servers arrived and then the virtualization, and I liked working on Solaris more each time.

Implementation Team:

When we do an implementation, we work together with an Oracle team and my colleague, Nicolas, and I start by connecting the power cords to the installation and configure the OS. We also provide support to development teams to this applications.

About the level of technicians, the level is excellent and they all provide great value with their experience.

ROI:

The economic investment is not my area of expertise, but I can talk about investment if I think about everyday learning working on this OS which return me the invest time on the initial installation and the low administrative maintenance, so I can spend less time to solve problems that software and hardware can have.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

I can't talk about prices. Solaris is free for final users, and in the case of OEM licenses, you should visit www.oracle.com.

Other Solutions Considered:

I always evaluate other options with Sparc. I analyze if one server is more convenient than another or what cards to add. At my company, one specific area evaluates the costs of an implementation and then it decides the direction to take, so when the road leads to Solaris, my evaluation can help them to make a decision.

Other Advice:

I always recommend Solaris because of its robustness, high availability, scalability, virtualization, excellent support, security and very good hardware.

18 visitors found this review helpful
619926b3 7e2e 4e4e 8a87 d5e880d43d2c avatar618a0c66 b8f6 4d22 b1ed 635c3fd57ab1 avatar7c507b9d 34ec 4d99 8f98 21666871ecfa avatar2a7ee9ee 1d2d 4ee4 a2c2 249764c2f612 avatarA90108af 6de1 42e7 814d 5792d0bc9793 avatar378e6def 885d 4b16 a6e3 94ddfd21ef62 avatar6682acd9 04e6 41c1 8443 56d13620ba14 avatar64eceacc a7f3 4c49 a4c1 f13d6fd694b4 avatarAnonymous avatar x30Anonymous avatar x30

7 Comments

Eab42d3a af36 4300 a76a 2cbb507d0f60 avatar

I have also found that performance on Solaris is a major plus. Java just likes the OS :-)

Like (1)24 April 16
618a0c66 b8f6 4d22 b1ed 635c3fd57ab1 avatar
Rita NúñezReal UserTOP 20

Very good article. Super clear!

Like (0)16 May 16
A86127ea 90ba 4bed 83f1 6da914f75c31 avatar
Yogesh RahejaConsultant

My experience says Solaris is one of the most Stable OS I have ever worked with.

Like (2)30 May 16
54a3ed11 1c67 433d 9b0f 3d4063de1c65 avatar
Michele VecchiatoReal UserTOP 5

The keys value features for choice Solaris today is ZFS and Debugging by Dtrace.

Like (2)25 August 16
8e9c560d 695f 4549 98e5 48c7a54fd0ff avatar
Diego E. AguirreReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

Yes Michele, I agree and virtualization too.

Like (1)25 August 16

8e9c560d 695f 4549 98e5 48c7a54fd0ff avatar
Diego E. AguirreReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

Thanks Hernan !!!

Like (0)25 November 16

Have A Question About Oracle Solaris?

Our experts can help. 204,199 professionals have used our research on 5,524 solutions.