Selenium HQ Review

Regression tests for multiple browsers are now automated.

What is most valuable?

It's free and continuously improved e.g. support for mobile, and new browsers. Also special services allow remote cross-browser testing on desktop and mobile browser (such as BrowserStack or SauceLabs).

Also the automation of Microsoft Edge is supported, where as other tools are having issues.

How has it helped my organization?

Regression tests for multiple browsers are now automated robustly across all main browsers.

What needs improvement?

• Video controls of an embedded HTML5 video
  • AJAX/web 2.0 dynamic web content (though there is a framework called Protractor for Angular)
  • Better detection if a page has indeed finished loading

I've used it for three years.

Never

Due to its high rate in releases sometimes working code cannot be executed after an upgrade due to a new feature or different behaviour.

Service is only available through a community (LinkedIn, Stackoverflow) but since this product is widely used you can always find a solution to your problem.

It was very straightforward, just one line of code, with two dependencies and you already have a browser up and running ready to be automated.

I made the concept and implementation myself.

No license necessary, but to get the best results it requires a Java Software Developer with WebDev-background and a tester attitude. Tests can be automated fairly quickly and across the main browsers therefore you can get results in less than a week.

Don’t forget the maintenance that is required to keep the framework running, therefore I would suggest the Page-Object-Model, to separate the test logic from the test object. Also you might wanna start on Chrome, it’s better supported.

Ranorex, Sahi, TestComplete, TestWhizz, QF-Test, WatiR, Squish, CodedUI