Selenium HQ Overview

Selenium HQ is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Functional Testing Tools. It is most often compared to Eggplant Functional: Selenium HQ vs Eggplant Functional

What is Selenium HQ?

Selenium HQ is a suite of tools to automate web browsers across many platforms. Selenium runs in many browsers and operating systems and can be controlled by many programming languages and testing frameworks. Selenium consist of two types:

1. Selenium WebDriver - create robust, browser-based regression automation suites & tests and scale & distribute scripts across many environments.
  2. Selenium IDE - create quick bug reproduction scripts and create scripts to aid in automation-aided exploratory testing.

Selenium HQ is also known as SeleniumHQ.

Selenium HQ Buyer's Guide

Download the Selenium HQ Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2021

Selenium HQ Customers

BrowserStack, Sauce Labs, experitest, Tricentis GmbH, SmartBear Software

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Selenium HQ pricing:
  • "This is an open-source product so there is no cost other than manpower."

Selenium HQ Reviews

SG
Shrey Gupta
Director Technology at Simplify 3x
Jul 30, 2020
Gives a lot of freedom to code anything, there is no restriction on the type of function you can do

What is our primary use case?

We work for a client who does HRM solutions. They wanted us to develop their scripts using Selenium HQ. Typically, we develop UI, API and database scripts. These are the three combinations we have used for them. So their test cases are typically where we initially do some operations on the various applications they have. Then, once the operation is done, we initiate a few API calls and then we validate the data in the database. This whole process of trying to enter into, listen into, and close is done using Selenium HQ. This is what we are doing. We have close to 8,000 test cases in the last… more »

• "What I like the most about this product is that it gives us a lot of freedom to code anything, there is no restriction on the type of function you can do."
  • "Selenium is good when the team is really technical because Selenium does less built-in methods. If it came with more built-in and pre-built methods it would be even easier for less technical people to work with it. That's where I think the improvement can be."

What other advice do I have?

My personal advice is that it is such an amazing tool to work on. The best thing about the tool is the community support. I don't think any other tool has that kind of a community support. You just post a question on any popular community, like Stack Overflow, and you get answers in like 20 minutes. There are so many people using it which makes life really easy. At the same time, you get a lot of free hands to work on. Meaning because it's based on Java which has so many open source libraries, you can use any library to do any kind of functionality you want. That's a pretty powerful tool. My…
Harold Rios
Director at Finding
Apr 4, 2021
Free to use and available on different platforms but has a complex setup

What is our primary use case?

In my company, I use the tool for testing web browsers. We basically use the product for two things. The first is for testing for a website. The other thing is for repeating actions so that you can repeat the same action over and over with ease and without having to repeat the original steps.

• "The solution is free to use."
  • "For people that don't know about technology, maybe it's difficult to use."

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and end-user. I'm not sure which version number we're using. However, it is a version from 2020, from the last year or so. I'd advise those considering the solution, if you want use SeleniumHQ, it's a good option if you have good developers that understand the tool and can make changes in the tool. If you have the right people on hand, it works very, very well. I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. If it didn't need such technical expertise, I might rate it higher.
Learn what your peers think about Selenium HQ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: March 2021.
475,208 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sunil Pandey
Assistant QA Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jun 21, 2020
Purely API so integration is possible with any tool; web scraping is a key feature

What is our primary use case?

Our company is a customer of Selenium and I work in QA.

• "Ability to integrate with every other tool."
  • "Could have additional readability and abstraction."

What other advice do I have?

The solution requires good understanding of Python, Pearl or Java and it's important to use the documentation. It would take a few hours of watching video sessions or reading the documentation to get started. It also helps to have an understanding of how API works, the architecture and how Selenium interacts with browsers. Having the background helps to design something with more features. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
SR
reviewer1456452
Systems Analyst at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 29, 2020
Good API and we are happy with the UI, but we have to spend a lot of time on maintenance

What is our primary use case?

We are using Selenium for web application automation and mobile automation.

• "In general, I would say that the API set is the most valuable feature."
  • "Whenever an object is changed or something is changed in the UI, then we have to refactor the code."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Selenium HQ is that if there is a timeframe that is separate from the automation then it is suitable. However, if there is no timeframe and the issue does not fit into the automation, and it needs to be adapted manually, then this product is not a good choice. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
Charles Netshivhera
Integration Specialist at ABSA
Nov 15, 2019
An open-source tool that's flexible and stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for browser compatibility testing and web-based applications.

• "The most valuable aspect of Selenium is that it gives you the flexibility to customize or write your own code, your own features, etc. It's not restricted by licensing."
  • "The solution's UI path needs to be modernized."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. I'd recommend Selenium, but it depends on the client's use case. As it is a free solution, users are able to cut a lot of costs. They can bring in developers that are experienced with Selenium, and those developers can build it up, scale it up and then, later on, you just need a few people to maintain it. It's a great option that allows companies to refrain from paying all sorts of license subscriptions that are quite exorbitant. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
KA
KreshenAmourdon
Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 18, 2019
Open-source and flexible but it needs more information in regards to some testing

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for automation testing.

• "The solution is very flexible; there are different ways of using it. It's open-source and has a lot of support on offer."
  • "The solution does not offer up enough information in regards to personality testing."

What other advice do I have?

We're using the on-premises deployment model. It is an open-source solution and you are able to build vertically. There is also lots of support pertaining to Selenium such as videos on YouTube. It's very easy to integrate on different platforms. The solution is constantly being updated and advanced; it's very reactive and in a constant state of change. I'd rate it seven out of ten.
AH
reviewer1391454
Automation Lead - Robotic Process Automation at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Jul 30, 2020
There is a lot of community support available but it needs standardized frameworks to build automation

• "I like that it is a robust and free open source. There is a lot of community support available, and there are a lot of developers using them. There's good community support."
  • "There should be standardized frameworks to build automation."

What other advice do I have?

If you are using it for the automation test, automation is generally good. If you have an experienced developer, it will be really good to deploy the open-source frameworks for Selenium. I would rate it a seven out of ten. Not a ten because they don't come loaded with the frameworks or different framework options. You have to build it from scratch. The build-in comes with a lot of networks and libraries and stuff. You still need to build that framework before you start writing the code They try to come up with new features. I think they're in a very good space.
PE
reviewer956898
Senior Test Automation Specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 14, 2019
Stable and scalable, but the initial setup can be complex for new users

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in a web environment.

• "You can build your own framework. I think that's the most powerful feature. You can connect with a lot of other tools that use frameworks, or keywords, etc. That helps make it a stronger solution."
  • "The solution is open-source, so everyone relies on the community to assist with troubleshooting and information sharing. If there's a complex issue no one has faced, it may take a while to solve the problem."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to only use Selenium in a unit test environment, and not an end test environment. It's very technical; you need a programmer and/or a developer to create your scripts. If you do not have development skills, then you will not be able to create scripts, at least in Selenium. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
See 5 more Selenium HQ Reviews
Download our free Selenium HQ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.