Selenium HQ Review

Valuable Features

• Selenium WebDriver can be used only for web test automation.
  • The framework is very flexible and powerful.
  • It can be used together with other frameworks for unit testing (JUNIT, TestNG), reporting (Allure), screenshot (aShot).
  • It can be used for creating automation scripts and execute them locally, in a locally managed computer grid or in the cloud.
  • It is great that Selenium works on any operating system and with many programming languages.

Improvements to My Organization

One thing that brings a lot of benefits is automating the smoke tests executed for each new build. If the automated tests are then integrated using Jenkins in the process of generating new builds, this leads to having better application builds.

Room for Improvement

I don't have any suggestions for the time being, but because it's open source, the only support is from forums and non-vendor resources.

Use of Solution

I've used it for three years.

No issues encountered.

Being an open source product, there is no customer service or technical support available.

I used QTP previously for web test automation. Until recently, QTP had limitations because of the scripting language (VB Script) and inability to run automation scripts on multiple operating systems and browsers. After starting work with Selenium, I did not consider any other automation tool for web automation.

The set up was fairly easy. I started creating scripts and running them on my local computer. In time, as soon as the script number went up, I started running them in the cloud.

Implementation Team

I did it in-house. Start small and make gradual changes when implementing Selenium WebDriver.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The product is fantastic. It requires development knowledge so if you want to get most of it, learn a programming language well first.