Selenium HQ Review

It has the ability to test on all of the major web browsers.

Valuable Features

The ability to test on all of the major web browsers.

Improvements to My Organization

I’ve used Selenium in multiple ways of the years. In one case I was working on a web site that got updated once a week. Mostly by others. Every week we would find out that a page changed that we were not expecting because we had changed included content, not knowing it was appearing on another page. I convinced management to allow me to write a script that went to each page on the production site and compare the page to the stage site. I reported the changes to management so that if they didn’t know about them, they were aware of the change.

On another site, we used Selenium to do basic application level testing. Just about the time I would start to think I was wasting my time, the test would reveal a problem that needed to be addressed.

Room for Improvement

Can’t think of anything I would change.

Use of Solution

I've used it for at least five years.

There's never been an issue with deploying it.

As the various browsers change, tests stop working. But that can hardly be blamed on Selenium. Every problem I've ever had has always been answered by “Get the most recent version of Selenium.”

I've never had a problem scaling the tests.

It is open source, I don’t think this applies. The documentation could use some work but there are books that fill this hole.

I had used TestComplete at one point a very long time ago. What I didn’t like about TC is that it was a complete development environment, which I didn’t really like. Selenium gives me the ability to write my test using the programming environment I am already familiar with.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward, but when you branch into using the Selenium Grid, things do get a bit more complex. It is all pretty easy now that I know how.

Implementation Team

I implemented it myself using search engines and trial and error.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It’s free. And relatively easy to get setup.

Other Advice

Learn how to use the “Page Model” approach to creating tests. If you code direct to the Selenium API and don’t using the Page Model, as things change in your web application, it will become more and more difficult to update your test to reflect the changes.