Selenium HQ Review

Provides Freedom To Choose The Tools Needed For Full-Fledged Automation Framework

What is most valuable?

FitNesse: The ability to present your tests on a wiki page and hooking them up to the scripts/fixtures. This is an amazing feature as you could literally ask your product owner, business analysts/developers to go to wiki and see all tests that are written and running automatically. Using the Gherkin format this can be very user readable, and one can also run those tests from the wiki themselves. They can even write their own tests using the available functions. Can easily be connected to Jenkins as well.

Selenium: The part with Selenium I like the most is the ability to parse and select an element from DOM. The various selectors make the job easier! At the same time one has to be careful of the selectors one uses, as it can make performance inefficient. With Selenium, one has a lot of freedom to choose the rest of the tools needed to make a full-fledged automation framework. You can use Cucumber/testing/JUnit as your test engine. You can use something else for reporting, etc., etc. It's available in so many languages, so you can choose the one which is close to your application. It’s not like a separate tool with its own scripting framework lying and maintained on the side. If your application is in Java, you can also choose Java for Selenium. If its C#, you can choose C# for Selenium. So your developers can also contribute to your framework and code.

How has it helped my organization?

It has largely improved our efficiency in QA. So every regression we don’t have to run a lot of repeatable test cases for which the flow didn’t change. However they are important to execute, so automation helps us there. Daily Smoke runs and weekly regression runs ensure that Build is continuously tested, which helps in Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery. I must be cautious here: You cannot automate everything as you still need the exploratory and cognitive behavior of a human being. So a part of testing over releases will still be manual. Efficiency can be achieved on repeatable tasks, which is still quite a gain.

What needs improvement?

Selenium could offer better ways to record and create scripts. IDE is available, however, it can be improved.

About four years.

No issues with stability. The Selenium community maintains it well.

Depends on the hardware we choose to host the automation scripts. No issues there.

There is enough material on the internet and the community answers questions/problems pretty fast. So, very good!

In the past I have used HPE QuickTest Pro, now ALM. Also Coded UI. However, Selenium is better for web applications, although the others provide more versatility in terms of supporting more than just web applications! They come with their license fees as well.

As Selenium is just a library, you have to build the whole framework around it yourself. There are enough templates available on internet to give you a head start, though.

There is no pricing cost. License is Apache License 2.0.

Ours is a web application and, considering my experience with other tools, our choice was easier. We did try Protractor and Jasmine, however Protractor is also based on Selenium. It works better with angular pages. For us, Selenium was enough and we want to use FitNesse.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a web application, I would strongly recommend this, as it has a lot of benefits as described above.

1 Comment
Mark-SmithReal UserTOP 20

The Firefox Selenium IDE is no longer supported so it might not make sense to adopt it.

Mark Smith.