Selenium HQ Review

The primary benefit is its cost and the ability to use the cloud

What is our primary use case?

We are using mobile application and functional testing. It performs pretty well.

We are using Selenium for scripting. We use Sauce Labs for the hardware device coverage on the client side.

How has it helped my organization?

The primary benefit is its cost and the ability to use the cloud.

We use it with Sauce Labs. So, we have a large base of real devices and emulators, as well as breadth of coverage.

What is most valuable?

• Flexibility
  • Scalability

What needs improvement?

It does require a programming skill set. I would like the product not to require a heavy programming skill set and be more user-friendly for someone without a programming background.

So far, I have not have any issues with its stability.

Technical support is one of the downsides of it. When you are buying a commercial tool from a vendor, your technical support is readily available but you are paying for it. However, they're going to take care of you. When you're dealing with open source, your support is based on research that you can do on the Internet. You rely on somebody else having had the same experience or one of the developers of the code having put something out there on the subject.

This product is open source and free. That was a huge deciding factor for us getting into it.

What other advice do I have?

I don’t see it as a company spending money on anything. I like to keep up with the market because I built my career around test automation.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Ease of implementation
  • Ease of adaptability
  • How much skill set would be required to operate it. Can I take somebody with no programming background and get them up and running on it, or does it require a heavy-duty programming background?