Selenium HQ Review

Stable and scalable, but the initial setup can be complex for new users

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in a web environment.

What is most valuable?

You can build your own framework. I think that's the most powerful feature. You can connect with a lot of other tools that use frameworks, or keywords, etc. That helps make it a stronger solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution should listen to the community and build new features for it based on their advice.

I've been using the solution since 2011 or 2012.

Normally, the solution is stable.

The solution is scalable, but there are boundaries to it.

The solution is open-source, so everyone relies on the community to assist with troubleshooting and information sharing. If there's a complex issue no one has faced, it may take a while to solve the problem.

If you've dealt with the solution before, it's fairly easy, but if you are new to Selenium, you will find it complex to implement. It's not a simple click-to-install product.

Deployment times vary depending on a company's rights and frameworks as well as the application deployment environment. If you have to do it from scratch, and you have to build a development pipeline, then it takes several days, and possibly even weeks. If you already have a development pipeline, and you just have to install the Selenium web line onto a machine, then it's done in five minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to only use Selenium in a unit test environment, and not an end test environment. It's very technical; you need a programmer and/or a developer to create your scripts. If you do not have development skills, then you will not be able to create scripts, at least in Selenium.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.