SonicWall TZ Review

It's simple to deploy which means you can quickly & effectively have a secure network but the reporting tool needs work

What is most valuable?

Configuration of firewall policies is very easy. I would say its interface gave me the ability to step into firewall and routing. Also I find using the SonicWALL for Site to Site VPN's is extremely easy, in particular, if you want to have VPN fail-over. HA is another good feature. Only because its the most competitive in the market as they give you an HA unit at a reduced cost.

How has it helped my organization?

Being a simple to deploy product means you can quickly and effectively implement a secure network

What needs improvement?

Since the acquisition of SonicWALL by Dell, I have not seen much in the way of improvements. Probably the key area to improve are as follows

• Better Mail Security (Spam in particular)
  • Some improvement in Application Detection and reporting
  • Its reporting tool (Viewpoint/GMS) is probably still in need of much improvement.

The death for SonicWall for us unfortunately is the Dell acquisition. You end up competing with Dell for the sale of SonicWALL and then anything else IT related. They don't work with IT partners.

I've used SonicWALL NSA for five years.

No issues encountered with deployment.

The only stability issues I have encountered is the reporting tools' ViewPoint/GMS. I have seen those virtual appliances fail to the point of needing to rebuild.

The NSA side of things is extremely stable as is the HA functionality.

You need to know the environment to ensure the unit you deploy suits. One negative about the SonicWALLS is the spec sheets for their numbers seem to be quite "optimistic". I used to divide by two to get an idea.

I haven't dealt with customer support.

Pretty good, they are more than happy to get into the details of any issues and assist in resolving them.

This became the de-facto firewall for us.

Initial out of the box setup is very simple as it provides wizards to get you up and running and you can build your firewall on top of those wizards.

When SonicWall was SonicWALL we dealt with a very good vendor team. Since going to Dell it just went downhill.

We have seen many cases where installing the SonicWall has helped with security threats or just for safe user browsing

Setup cost is the hardware, configuration and installation. Once its installed, you don't need to refer to it much.

What other advice do I have?

Just map out the connection requirements.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment

author avatar

I like the TZ series for very small office, however I generally recommend and implement the NSA series for my clients. (I am not a reseller, I just sell my time). General rule - buy the next model up on a SonicWall if you want it to be sufficient for at least 3-5 years. I love the NSA3600, probably the best SonicWall model that I have managed over the past 10 years.