SonicWall TZ Review

Provides protection with ease of use and flexibility

What is our primary use case?

It is used as firewalls are normally used and performance has been outstanding. We've been very happy with it.

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided the necessary security, that's what it's there for.

What is most valuable?

I really don't know. I'm not really an IT person, per se, but I would say number one is the protection available, and then ease of use and flexibility. Those would be the top three.

What needs improvement?

I'm not an IT guy. What I will say is that the market seems to be going to a cloud-supported, new generation of firewall products. I think that's probably going to be important to us, the next time around.

Less than one year.

It has been, to the best of my knowledge, trouble-free.

We haven't used tech support, at least, not that I'm aware of. We outsourced all of our IT stuff. They may have used it, but I'm not aware of anything.

We've used nothing but SonicWall, up until now.

What other advice do I have?

I would say the most important criterion, when selecting a vendor, is probably the technology utilized.

The one we've got now is five years old. The next generation with the cloud-based signature and operation... I know SonicWall has what they call Capture, which is advanced threat protection type stuff. I think that is probably what we're going to be looking at next.

There are certainly a lot of options out there, and there are a lot of good options. I would say, stick with a name brand, whether it's SonicWall, or Check Point, or Palo Alto, or Cisco - any of those. You need to stick with a big name brand that is at the forefront of things.