Sophos UTM Review

Some of the valuable features are web and email protection and VPN.

What is most valuable?

All the features are valuable.

• Web protection: Allows me to control unnecessary web traffic into the company network.
  • Email protection: Protects the company from spam and malicious emails.
  • RED and VPN: Provides an easy and secure way to connect branch offices so I can easily control them.
  • WAF and DMZ: Provides an easy and very secure way to publish your internal servers. Enables you to have more than one WAN and to use them for load balancing and controlling the traffic through them.

How has it helped my organization?

Before implementing Sophos UTM, we had a lot of problems with:

• Malicious URLs
  • Spam
  • Unnecessary internet traffic
  • difficulties in connecting and controlling branch offices

After implementing Sophos UTM, the percentage of infected computers because of bad URLs was been reduce by 90%. A lot of spam emails were blocked. Additionally, I created a whitelist for company emails and a blacklist for unnecessary emails.

Branch offices have the same protection like the main office and communication between offices is very easy. We created rules for one-way communication for some branch offices and two-way communication for another office. You have got a lot of abilities for different configurations between offices.

But after migrating to Sophos XG and the new XG OS, things got easier, more secure, and more interesting. Specifically, we had the ability to generate different reports for different protection types, different end users, or different services.

With the new XG OS, I have better control of my network and I can easily detect malicious and unnecessary traffic.

We used UTM for four years, and XG for one year.

At the beginning, there were stability issues, due to a poorly configured switch. I had problems with HA, but after that, there were no stability issues.

I only contacted technical support five or six times. They were very professional. I will rate them as excellent.

We did not use a different solution before this one.

The initial setup, at the beginning, was very complex. After some time, everything got clear. I did the migration of UTM to the new OS XG by myself and I didn't need help from technical support.

Think twice when you are choosing your Sophos UTM/XG. I made a mistake the first time because I needed more powerful hardware for my network. I did not choose very well. The price and the license are definitely elements for which you must think twice. I had excellent cooperation with the Sophos sales team and my mistake was quickly resolved.

We evaluated SonicWall, Palo Alto, and Untangle.

What other advice do I have?

I love all Sophos products, but the combination of Sophos XG, Sophos RED, and Sophos advanced endpoint protection with intercept X is something that all IT professionals and security officers will love and want to have.