Sophos UTM Review

Offers secure and Scalable Firewall Security

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for communication endpoint, encryption, and network security. We are focused on providing security software to the small to mid-market enterprises; the essence of our delivery is internet security.

What is most valuable?

The features that I've known to be the most valuable are both the web security features as well as the web firewall capabilities. As a partner of Sophos firewall, we have some clients that are using Sophos firewall UTM and we use it as well.

What needs improvement?

One additional feature that should be included in the next release is
synchronized security, which would enable all the security to work together as a system. Another suggestion is to add advanced threat protection (ATP) to defend against sophisticated Malware. Seeing these additional improvements would be a great thing going forward.

The product is stable. It's a product that our clients are able to use and enjoy. We haven't had many complaints about the product at all. Internally we haven't experienced any problems.

The scalability is also fine. Currently, we have 20 employees using the product to date and only one employee needed to maintain the product. At the moment we don't have any plans to increase usage in the company. Not now, next year maybe.

We train our employee's on technical support. I don't need any outside technical support.

The only time we faced a problem or issue is when we place a ticket. We have found that the response is very slow. That seems to be our biggest problem.

We previously used Cyberoam but Sophos acquired Cyberoam. That's why we migrated to Sophos.

The initial setup was done with our engineers, they also set up that server firewall. The setup was straightforward.

The deployment took one month. We're a support base reseller. Our in-house team took care of it. We don't use anyone from the outside, we can deploy the product on our own.

Everything involving pricing and licensing is maintained by our Bangladesh Sophos country managers. The pricing is okay and the licensing is also included in the price.

What other advice do I have?

Sophos UTM is a good product for security purposes and maybe if Sophos provided another company option to implement their products then I would say that Sophos UTM is great.

On a scale of one to ten with 10 being the best, I would give this solution a nine out of 10.

1 Comment
Bob AlfsonUserTOP 20

A few observations on an otherwise-accurate review...

The quickest way to get Sophos Support is by submitting a case via MyUTM, SophServ or at https://secure2.sophos.com/en-us/support/open-a-support-case/describe-issue.aspx. Calling is the slowest way to open a case.

I wonder if Mr. Khan's review doesn't apply to the XG Firewall which is a new Sophos product based on the GUI that Cyberoam developed.

Cheers - Bob