SSIS Review

It was a easily adaptable to our group. The scalability needs some improvement.

What is our primary use case?

Movement of data and creation of files. ALl the typical things that you would have a ETL solution do. Data movements were in the millions and no calculations were completed. This means it was always a select * from where ever it was coming from and going to. Light translations like concatenation was being used.

How has it helped my organization?

SSIS was easily adaptable to our group. It was cheaper than the other tools that we compared it to, however I feel that we got what we paid for.

What is most valuable?

The packaging and how it is organized is good for someone that really has never seen ETL before.

What needs improvement?

Scalability of SSIS needs some improvement. Seems to get sluggish as soon as we hit a high volume of data.

Still implementing.

Again it failed a lot and by a lot I mean every day. The failures were false alarms and caused many sleepless night for our company that I used to work for.

SSIS is good for smaller shops that don't really have a high volume of data.

I would rate the customer service as poor.

We were using Hyperion Application Link. We switched because HAL was being sunset.

Never participated in the initial setup.

In-house.

For the money, it's a decent tool. However, if the budget was larger I would have gone with a different tool

Look at how this product is sold to you. Ask yourself, am I getting everything that I need. Its more expensive to get the additional adapters after the fact.

We looked at ODI, Informatica, and DataStage. All three we had in-house. ODI was the better option and after dealing with SSIS for only a few months, we ended up using ODI.

6 Comments
Orlee GillisConsultant

How has the scalability been since you wrote this review?

Brian DandeneauConsultantTOP 5POPULAR

Scalability is still lacking a bit. If you are looking to run Millions of records in seconds this isn't the tool for the job. If you are looking to run a few hundred thousand in a min then this will work.

Orlee GillisConsultant

Interesting, and helpful explanation. Do you think improved scalability would be a 'game changer' for this solution? Does it seem like a feasible improvement?

Brian DandeneauConsultantTOP 5POPULAR

I think it is a game changer of they can bump up the Scalability. On if it is feasible or not, anything can happen. I have seen other ETL tools totally revamp their solutions and become leaders in the space.

18 October 16
Orlee GillisConsultant

Which ETL solutions have you seen revamped and what were the 'game-changer' improvements involved?

19 October 16
GaryMReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

Curious people's experiences when they mention "fail a lot" or scalability. I've used many ETL tools in my career - most of them very expensive and I'd put SSIS up against any of them for reliability and performance (within limits).

Scalability is largely comparing to expectations and it depends on your expectations. I think people too often compare completely different architectures and are surprised when they scale differently. SSIS is single server. No MPP going on here folks. You get a lot more than you've paid for (which is really nothing is you already own SqlServer). SSIS sure beats the open source stuff I've seen out there that really sucks. Try Pentaho written in Java if you want slow. I've read where people have custom coded front ends to fire multiple SSIS servers and there's ways of partitioning data flows but if you are getting into that you might be on the wrong tool. Consider the opposite - most people are running SSIS on the target database box so its competing with the database server as well as not utilizing more than one server. I'm doing that and actually getting quite great performance (again - its all about expectations).

So yes if you need millions per second SSIS is not the tool you want. My benchmark with SSIS is @10,000 rows per second to stage large rows through a data flow. I'm guessing if you need a lot faster than that you have significant volumes and big pockets so why would you look at a free tool that's designed to be installed on a database server?

As for failing, it would only fail due to buffers if you did something with altering buffers that you should not have done. That would be your bad sorry. Or you're doing something else silly like running on 4gb VM and didn't set a max memory on the Sql Server so basically everything crawls or fails. Hey - some of you are laughing but some are probably scratching their heads and asking, so what's wrong with that?

13 June 17