SSIS Reviews

rating
GaryM
Data Architect at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 05 2018

What do you think of SSIS?

Sql Server Integration Services (SSIS) 2016 Review Summary SSIS 2016 - the Good the Bad, and the Ugly SSIS is a unique ETL tool for a number of reasons. Most shops already own it but may treat it as a one-off free utility rather than as an enterprise ETL tool even though it can compete with the best of ETL tools. Some of the lack of respect is due to immature beginnings in its former "DTS" days. And some of it is because it comes bundled with Sql Server and does not normally run (but can) on a separate ETL server.  It can't be good if its free right?  Especially when competitors easily charge 6 figures for  their tools. Don't we get what we pay for?  My answer is, generally yes but this may be an exception worth noting. SSIS has become extremely flexible, extensible...
Brian Dandeneau
Lead Consultant at Applied Governance
Nov 19 2018

What is most valuable?

The packaging and how it is organized is good for someone that really has never seen ETL before.

How has it helped my organization?

SSIS was easily adaptable to our group. It was cheaper than the other tools that we compared it to, however I feel that we got what we paid for.

What needs improvement?

Scalability of SSIS needs some improvement. Seems to get sluggish as soon as we hit a high volume of data.

Look at how this product is sold to you. Ask yourself, am I getting everything that I need. Its more expensive to get the additional adapters... more»

We were using Hyperion Application Link. We switched because HAL was being sunset.
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Informatica, Oracle and others in Data Integration Tools.
305,759 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RajeshHegde
Assistant Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Jun 25 2017

What is most valuable?

In SSIS, the scope is not only to handle ETL challenges, but it will allow us to do so many other tasks, such as DBA activities, scripting,... more»

How has it helped my organization?

For the full version of the SQL Server, SSIS, SSAS and SSRS will come as additional features for free. Hence, my organization need not spend... more»

What needs improvement?

SSIS can improve in handling different data sources like Salesforce connectivity, Oracle Cloud's connectivity, etc. Also, handling of the... more»

Based on the client's requirements, we switched over to this solution.

What other advice do I have?

Don't worry, go ahead.
Vincent Diallo-Nort
User
student
Jul 12 2018

What do you think of SSIS?

What is our primary use case?: SSIS is a very flexible solution that allows data to be generated through code or external software. As a result, we can create reproducible patterns and improve code quality. • How has it helped my organization?: Because of the code generation, code quality improved and the time to develop decreased. This led to a quicker and more agile development phase. • What is most valuable?: It has the ability to be deployed into the cloud through Data Factory, and run completely as a software as a service in the cloud. • What needs improvement?: Metadata management. A change in the metadata source cripples the whole ETL process, requiring each module to be manually reopened. • For how long have I used the solution?: More than five years.

Articles

User Assessments By Topic About SSIS

305,759 professionals have used our research since 2012.

SSIS Questions

SSIS Projects By Members

SSIS Consultants

What is SSIS?

SSIS is a package is an organized collection of connections, control flow elements, data flow elements, event handlers, variables, parameters, and configurations, that you assemble using either the graphical design tools that SQL Server Integration Services provides, or build programmatically. You then save the completed package to SQL Server, the SSIS Package Store, or the file system, or you can deploy the ssISnoversion project to the SSIS server. The package is the unit of work that is retrieved, executed, and saved.
Also known as
SQL Server Integration Services
SSIS customers
PKP Energetyka, UniCredit Bank, Mostar, waldwasser, Ashok leyland, Florida Atlantic University, Stadt Frankfurt am Main
BUYER'S GUIDE
Download our free Data Integration Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Informatica, Oracle, and more!