SSIS Review

A solution that offers excellent compatibility with Microsoft products and an easy interface

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is as an ETL tool to move data across our various environments.

What is most valuable?

Its compatibility with Microsoft products has been very valuable to our company. It fits well within the architecture.

The interface is also very good. If users are familiar with Microsoft, then they'll be quite familiar with the interface.

What needs improvement?

We're in the process of switching to Informatica, and we need to work out data lineage and data profiling and to improve the quality of our data. SSIS, however, is not that compatible with Informatica. We managed to connect it to Informatica Metadata Manager, but we don't get good lineage, so we have to redo all our ETLs using the Informatica process in order to accept the proper data lineage.

As an example of what I'd like to see in SSIS is something that I think is very effective in Informatica. In Informatica PowerCenter, you define your sources and destinations once and after that, you can simply drag and drop into the designer. It's quite a nice feature. I don't know if SSIS has that feature, but if they don't, if they could allow the setup system configurations in one step and then offer drag and drop functionality, that would be extremely useful.

I've been using the solution for six years.

The solution is quite stable. I don't think we've had any issues.

In terms of scalability, we haven't tried big data because in our enterprise we have to use Informatica to connect to the dedupe. I can't say how well it reads with the file, but we've never had an issue. However, I can't speak to scalability because we're never really, really big data.

We've never had to contact technical support. Our developers would just use Google, and usually, they'll be able to find answers on the Internet.

The initial setup was straightforward. We've got quite a strong SQL experience in my team. We have about five people working on the solution, including Data engineers and BI developers. They're all admins.

We did the implementation ourselves. We have in-house database administrators. They usually set up all the services.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the on-premises version of the solution.

My only recommendation to those considering implementation of the solution would be, if they want to check data lineage, they should set up the packages with a particular configuration that they would have to follow in order to get data lineage. If they were to start it from scratch, my recommendation would be just to follow the pattern to ensure data lineage.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.