Teradata Review
Improved the performance of our ETL procedures and reporting

Primary Use Case

Improvements to My Organization

Improved performance of ETL procedures, reporting. Decreased efforts, time, and number of staff supporting DWH.

Valuable Features

• Scalability
  • Functionality
  • Performance

Room for Improvement

GUI of administrative tools is really outdated.

Use of Solution

Nothing major, as far as I can recall.

No issues, scalability is a key feature of Teradata.

Support is on par with other vendors.

We used Oracle. Scalability and performance were the reasons we decided to try Teradata.

It was easy, the whole job was done by Teradata.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It is still a very expensive solution. While I very much like the pure technological supremacy of the software itself, I believe Teradata as a company needs to become more affordable. They are already losing the market to more flexible or cheaper competitors.

Other Solutions Considered

We did performance testing. We had a set of real life MicroStrategy reports. Our conditions were: Not allowed to redesign data model, not allowed to rewrite the queries, all queries should be generated by MicroStrategy, no aggregates. Teradata appeared to be way faster than a similarly configured (in terms of hardware) Oracle server.

Other Advice

Go with the Enterprise series and don't waste time and money on 25xx. Sooner or later you will migrate anyway, so don't even start with departmental solutions.