Teradata Review
Improved the performance of our ETL procedures and reporting

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

Improved performance of ETL procedures, reporting. Decreased efforts, time, and number of staff supporting DWH.

What is most valuable?

• Scalability
  • Functionality
  • Performance

What needs improvement?

GUI of administrative tools is really outdated.

Nothing major, as far as I can recall.

No issues, scalability is a key feature of Teradata.

Support is on par with other vendors.

We used Oracle. Scalability and performance were the reasons we decided to try Teradata.

It was easy, the whole job was done by Teradata.

It is still a very expensive solution. While I very much like the pure technological supremacy of the software itself, I believe Teradata as a company needs to become more affordable. They are already losing the market to more flexible or cheaper competitors.

We did performance testing. We had a set of real life MicroStrategy reports. Our conditions were: Not allowed to redesign data model, not allowed to rewrite the queries, all queries should be generated by MicroStrategy, no aggregates. Teradata appeared to be way faster than a similarly configured (in terms of hardware) Oracle server.

What other advice do I have?

Go with the Enterprise series and don't waste time and money on 25xx. Sooner or later you will migrate anyway, so don't even start with departmental solutions.