Veritas NetBackup Review

Very good VM portal and the CloudCatalyst but needs disaster recovery capabilities

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution to back up my customer's CMs or servers inside all of their data centers.

What is most valuable?

The VM portal and the CloudCatalyst are two of the solution's most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The interaction of NetBackup with the cloud is not an easy process. You can't choose, for example, data optimization with the cloud. We would like to use CloudCatalyst with AWS and we can't. I don't know how to explain it, but the data file optimization is not usable everywhere. It's not a seamless solution in all instances. We'd like it to be multi-cloud and it's not there yet.

It would be helpful, in future releases, if the solution could add WORM (Write Once Read Many) support right within the product.

The solution would benefit from the addition of disaster recovery.

I've been using the solution for five years now.

The stability is quite good. We haven't had issues with the product crashing. There aren't bugs or glitches that affect our work. It's reliable.

We're quite a sizable company. We've got maybe a 1000 operations and maybe 200 people working on projects. The solution is extensively used on a daily basis by our teams.

The solution is very scalable. We've scaled it ourselves within our organization and didn't have any issues. Other companies should feel confident that they can scale as well if they need to.

I personally have never contacted technical support, however, our operations teams have. I haven't heard anyone in our organization complain about their service which leads me to believe they've quite good. I would say overall our teams are satisfied with their level of service provided.

We previously used Dell EMC's Avamar solution. We decided to switch to Veritas after running into problems on Dell's platform and dealing with large overhead costs to have the solution.

The initial setup is not straightforward. it's quite complex. The process required a lot of engineering and had lots of components that needed to be addressed.

I don't recall the amount of time it took to deploy the solution.

The solution does require maintenance, however, I don't know too much about the process. We're a quite large company. I don't know how many people are working on this solution in total.

The implementation was handled by us. We are a service provider for our clients. We didn't need an outside consultant or integrator to assist us. We have our own in-house team of engineers that can handle everything.

Compared to other solutions, such as Dell EMC's Avamar, the solution is reasonably priced.

We've got a simple payment scheme set up where most of the features and the product itself are included in one single cost. It's quite straight forward in terms of pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Since we are a service provider, we have a close relationship with Veritas. We offer services based on their technology and on their product.

I'd advise others considering implementing the solution to first evaluate against use cases. Depending on the use cases, the cost can change quite a lot. Overall, I'd recommend the solution, however. It's quite good and very reliable.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

More Veritas NetBackup reviews from users