Veritas NetBackup Overview

Veritas NetBackup is the #10 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Veritas NetBackup vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Veritas NetBackup?

NetBackup reduces the staggering complexity of enterprise data protection, outpaces the relentless growth of the data center, and increases the agility IT needs to transform from traditional cost center to service-oriented business enabler. Enterprises trust Symantec.

Veritas NetBackup Buyer's Guide

Download the Veritas NetBackup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Veritas NetBackup Customers

Beta Offshore

Veritas NetBackup Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Veritas NetBackup pricing:
  • "When you compare NetBackup's software licensing system with Veeam's, which is simpler and based on instances (or how many physical machines or virtual machines you want to protect), NetBackup isn't that competitive for smaller scale companies. However, if you're running many large workloads, then NetBackup may be the better option."
  • "It was on a yearly basis. During the annual review, when we asked them about our licensing, they couldn't explain it. For example, we had reduced by a factor of 40%, but our license only dropped by 5%. We would then ask Veritas people if we've reduced this much and shut down these servers, why has our license changed so less? They were never able to give us a straight answer. They weren't able to say, "Well, you're using this, and this is more expensive." In many cases, as we reduced our capacity and what we were using with Veritas NetBackup, our licensing actually went up, and they were often unable to explain why."
  • "The price is fair."

RN
System Engineer with 1-10 employees
Short-term recovery options help our clients easily get lost data back into production

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT company that provides solutions to end users. Most of our end users come from the banking sector, the government sector, and other government-linked companies. When I say that we use Veritas NetBackup, I don't mean to say that we use it internally, but rather that we propose it and use it in solutions that we offer to clients. Most of our clients use Veritas NetBackup to protect their highly critical workloads, which are often situated in virtual machines with Hyper-V or VMware. The primary workloads are databases ranging from Exchange, Oracle, MS SQL, and IBM Db2. And then it… more »

• "We are quite satisfied with the performance and reliability of the NetBackup product. When it comes to specific features, the most valuable is the Instant Recovery feature, which we call "short-term IR". Instant Recovery allows users to spin up backup images and bring back any VM instantly."
  • "Veritas NetBackup has been in the backup and recovery market for quite a long time, but somehow, from my own observations and from feedback from end users, its user interface is lagging behind other comparable solutions such as Veeam."

What other advice do I have?

About seven or eight years back, Veritas and Commvault were considered the de facto leaders in the backup landscape. During that time, there were no major alternatives such as Veeam, and many customers relied solely on Veritas and were loyal to the product. But nowadays, new customers have options, especially when it comes to smaller scale backup solutions for the small-medium type of companies. With us, we now see a multitude of different clients, from small companies to the enterprise. The average company that is using multiple virtualization platforms, or physical platforms running Unix…
TN
Senior Backup Engineer at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
A very complicated and hard-to-manage solution that has outlived its usefulness and has extremely complicated licensing

What is our primary use case?

We are currently phasing it out, and we've gone to Rubrik. At one point, we were backing up everything with it, which included physical and virtual NAS. We moved the virtual first and then we started packing the physicals to move them.

• "It has been around for so long, and it is very in-depth. It has a solution for everything that you can cover."
  • "It was very complicated, and it required a lot of work in terms of management. We have moved to Rubrik. One of the reasons for getting rid of Veritas NetBackup was the fact that at one point, we had the support staff with 12 to 15 people to manage Veritas NetBackup, whereas, with Rubrik, I'm the only one managing Rubrik. There is one more person who works with me mostly due to the fact that in case I'm not around, someone else knows what to do, but I'm the only one who is a full-time manager of Rubrik. The complexity of Veritas required a large staff to manage it. We had daily issues that had to be looked into and resolved. A lot of these issues revolved around Veritas' handling of VMware, which is why first we moved VMware off Veritas. After we did that, we were also able to reduce our staff count. Their licensing is a disaster. It is extremely complicated. In most cases, Veritas themselves can't understand their own licensing."

What other advice do I have?

I honestly don't feel that Veritas NetBackup is forward-thinking. There are a lot better options to implement at this point. I would not suggest Veritas NetBackup to anyone at this point. It is not being managed properly. Veritas needs to come out with a completely new product and break away from the old. They've basically been continuing to update the same product since the eighties. It is time for them to more or less move to a more forward-thinking. They need to be more in-line with how the environments work today. It has outlived its usefulness in all honesty. They would honestly be better…
Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AR
Information Technology Infrastructure Team Lead at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good functionalities with virtual environments, fairly-priced, but the support needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers. We provide services to our clients. We use it to protect the workloads on the customer's site. We also use it to protect our site.

• "The most valuable feature is flexibility."
  • "In regards to protecting the physical servers with parameters, it's a long and difficult process."

What other advice do I have?

I have a lot of experience with it and I have a lot of experience with Veeam. I think that the only weakness with Veritas is the user interface. It's not friendly and it's not easy to understand. For functionality in protecting the data, it has all of the requirements to protect any workload on the virtual machines. It's the best solution in the market right now. If you are considering Veritas, you should have a qualified team that is trained in using NetBackup. If the team does not have the required experience, they will find it difficult and they will think that it an issue with the product…
SK
Service Delivery Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Very stable with good compression but needs a lot of pre-planning before deployment

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution in order to backup virtual machines and our databases as well as the mainstream applications such as Exchange, etc.

• "The solution has been very good over the years at fine-tuning various aspects of the product so that it is continuously made better."
  • "Planning for the implementation takes a lot of time."

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers. We resell both Veritas and Quorum products. In Malaysia, solutions like this are typically installed on-premises. Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. Veritas is a very good solution. I'd recommend other organizations to try it, however, to always do proper capacity planning before going with Veritas, as they may not be happy with the price later if they just assume the prices. They should do a thorough assessment before purchasing NetBackup.
VC
Customer Solution Architect, IT Outsourcing & Cloud Computing Services at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Very good VM portal and the CloudCatalyst but needs disaster recovery capabilities

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution to back up my customer's CMs or servers inside all of their data centers.

• "The VM portal and the CloudCatalyst are two of the solution's most valuable features."
  • "It would be helpful, in future releases, if the solution could add WORM (Write Once Read Many) support right within the product."

What other advice do I have?

Since we are a service provider, we have a close relationship with Veritas. We offer services based on their technology and on their product. I'd advise others considering implementing the solution to first evaluate against use cases. Depending on the use cases, the cost can change quite a lot. Overall, I'd recommend the solution, however. It's quite good and very reliable. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
RM
Senior Systems Support Analyst at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
All-inclusive with everything under one console

What is our primary use case?

Our use case really depends on what we need at a particular time so we use the solution for online productives and we also do incrementals. We are customers of Veritas and I'm a senior systems support analyst.

• "This is a complete solution, everything is under one console."
  • "Licensing costs are quite high."

What other advice do I have?

As a technical solution, this product is right up there. I would recommend the solution but it would depend on the use cases and the load. Depending on the load, there might be other, more cost-effective solutions. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
Dalai B
Senior DBA at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, with good scalability potential, but needs a better user interface

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backup purposes.

• "The backup and restore functions are very valuable aspects of the product."
  • "It's a little bit complex to manage."

What other advice do I have?

We are not using the latest version of the product. The NetBackup version we are using is 8.0. We use a NetBackup Appliance. The NetBackup version is a bit older as it's integrated with the backup appliance. That's why we cannot upgrade to the latest version. The latest version is 9.0. I would warn other potential users that, in my experience, it's a bit complex and may be difficult to achieve some requirements compared to other products. Rubrik or Cohesity may be a bit easier, for example. It's a little bit traditional in terms of architecture. However, the features compared to others are…
DB
Alliance Solution Architect at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Great security with excellent compression and deduplication

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases for our clients are for data protection and for backups.

• "The solution offers very good storage efficiency, so there's excellent compression and deduplication within the product that our clients really appreciate."
  • "It would be extremely helpful if the solution offered near-zero recovery time for SQL."

What other advice do I have?

We're Veritas partners, however, we are independent and completely neutral towards our partners. I'm a consultant. I don't use the product. I evaluate the product for clients. The clients are the ones who use the product. I'd advise other organizations to look at both their on-prem and cloud together. It's good to manage everything from one place. I'd rate the solution eight out for ten.
See 31 more Veritas NetBackup Reviews
Download our free Veritas NetBackup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.