Veritas NetBackup Reviews

rating
Wesam Qashou
Senior Systems Engineer at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Aug 13 2019

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are performance and support.

How has it helped my organization?

This has helped us manage our company backups. The reporting is very good, with all of the details highlighted and very clear. It has a very good dashboard.

What needs improvement?

This solution would benefit from a more friendly, web-based interface. I would like to see better integration with more systems and appliances. Better integrity would also be an improvement. We would… more»

We are very satisfied with the price of this solution.

Prior to this solution, we had CA Backup. We are currently using two backup solutions. In addition to Veritas NetBackup, we are using Quest, which in turn uses NetVault. Our plan is to unify our… more»

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
Hitesh Chopra
IT Solutions Provider at WIZERTECH INFORMATICS PVT LTD
Apr 10 2019

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to perform a backup, and then verify whether it has been properly completed or not.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a very good backup solution that we provide to the majority of our clients as a service.

What needs improvement?

Add endpoint backup capability for a particular appliance. Currently it is server level only.

I think that the pricing and licensing for this solution is good. It is affordable.

I use a second solution, Commvault, in cases where there is no domain. I did not, and still do not use another solution for our primary use case.

What other advice do I have?

I have not had any issues or problems when using this solution. It has been working perfectly for our primary use case. I would rate this solution eight out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Veritas, CommVault, Veeam Software and others in Backup and Recovery Software. Updated: October 2019.
370,827 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Thamer Salah
Senior Presales Consultant at OFFTEC International
May 01 2019

What needs improvement?

Improvements can be made to the service by providing better and more competitive ratios on data backups. The functionality for backups is there with Veritas, but I would like to see them optimize and enhance this feature more.

Veritas Netbackup offers affordable licensing.

We were previously using Veritas.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that it is a perfect product. I would rate it an 8 out of 10 overall. I wouldn't give it a ten because it doesn't have the necessary full backup capabilities and because it is missing functionalities like the archiving feature… more»

We were evaluating other products and getting confused between Commvault and Veritas NetBackup. The one reason that we started with Veritas NetBackup is the pricing of the license. There's no other reason from a technical perspective or… more»
Reviewer23
IT Infrastructure Manager at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
Oct 25 2018

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is basically a replica of our SAN data. We archive the SAN data for recovery, if there is an issue on the fence.

What needs improvement?

I think that the licensing model needs improvement.

The licensing model is cost-prohibitive as you scale out.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise not to use this tool. I think between the licensing issues and the older solution mentality it is not a great solution. They really have not kept up with the times.

No, we did not evaluate any other options. We only tried this solution in our environment.
SysA560465
Systems Analyst at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 15 2018

What do you think of Veritas NetBackup?

What is our primary use case?

It is for backing up servers. It has performed well.

How has it helped my organization?

It is essential. We can't do without it.

What is most valuable?

Its most valuable features are flexibility and reliability.

What needs improvement?

It needs support for Kernel-based Virtual Machines (KVMs). Some of the hardware is out of support.  The product is not able to keep up with other competitors in the market.

Stability is very good.

Scalability is very good.

Their support is pretty good.

I have been involved in upgrades. They have not been…
Vuong Doan
Storage and Backup Engineer at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
Feb 28 2018

What do you think of Veritas NetBackup?

What is our primary use case?

Ease to use Friendly interface Logs are very easy to read, parse, and use for diagnostics.

How has it helped my organization?

Backup for over 10,000 jobs with a failure rate under 0.5%.

What is most valuable?

I am not interested in any features because I have worked with all of the backup solutions that are now available in the market.

What needs improvement?

The restore tool is not friendly to newcomers. It takes some of our storage and backup admin/support a long time to wrestle with it, but then they have enough knowledge to work even with NetBackup competitors.

We have encountered some issues when upgrading to 8.1 due to…
Tri Nguyen
Technical Specialist, Data Center and Cloud with 11-50 employees
Jul 17 2019

What do you think of Veritas NetBackup?

What is our primary use case?

We are protecting our company's critical data using NetBackup Virtual Appliance at multiple sites. For DR purposes, we use the NetBackup AIR feature to replicate deduped images between sites.

How has it helped my organization?

With our critical data protected by Veritas NetBackup, we feel confident knowing that we can reliably recover the data in case of incidental data loss or disaster.

What is most valuable?

Veritas NetBackup Automatic Image Replication and CloudCatalyst features allow me to replicate deduped backup images from one site to a remote site, as well as duplicating deduped images to the Cloud (i.e. AWS S3, etc.)

What needs improvement?

This product would be improved with the inclusion of a Sandbox feature like Veeam Sandbox.

For

Carl Parker
User
Feb 25 2019

What do you think of Veritas NetBackup?

What is our primary use case?

I used the product to back up all of the major servers at my location, including operating systems: UNIX, Linux, and Windows.  There are a little more than 100 individual systems with around 1.2 PB of which at least 250 TB is continuously backed up with this product.

How has it helped my organization?

It has performed as advertised and I have used it for more than 18 years without any major loss of data or problems.

What is most valuable?

The support of a large number of different operating systems and applications.

What needs improvement?

Better ways of backing up larger filesystems with many, millions of small files.
See 2 More Veritas NetBackup Reviews

Articles

User Assessments By Topic About Veritas NetBackup

370,827 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Veritas NetBackup Questions

What is Veritas NetBackup?

NetBackup reduces the staggering complexity of enterprise data protection, outpaces the relentless growth of the data center, and increases the agility IT needs to transform from traditional cost center to service-oriented business enabler. Enterprises trust Symantec.

Veritas NetBackup customers

Beta Offshore

Read Archived Reviews
BUYER'S GUIDE
Download our free Backup and Recovery Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Veritas, CommVault, Veeam Software, and more!