Veritas NetBackup Review

Trouble-free backup and restore, but the pricing and performance should be improved

What is our primary use case?

This is our default backup solution for our data and storage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the trouble-free operation, as we have not had many problems with it.

What needs improvement?

We are not able to back up our attached drives, which is something that should be improved.

The speed of restoring data could be improved.

The pricing is an area that can be improved.

I have been in touch with technical support and I would say that they are okay. I wouldn't rate them "very bad" or "very good" because I haven't been dissatisfied, yet I haven't seen anything impressive either.

The area for improvement that I can see with support is that they have to have better internal coordination. Multiple people or teams work on the same problem and the coordination on their end could be better.

The team who was working on the initial setup was well aware of what they needed to do, so it was straightforward.

We have two people who do the maintenance.

We had third-party assistance with the deployment and we are satisfied with the experience.

I find the cost of this solution to be high. The licensing is done based on the size of the source. If you have a source size of one terabyte then they will charge for a one terabyte license, although what is actually being stored is much less. This is something that they can improve on.

We have been exploring other options that are available in the market. Products like Veeam have similar features, so we will continue our evaluation and consider cost as one of the main factors.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering Veritas NetBackup is that it's not a bad product and it's good to be prepared. I suggest reviewing the price in advance.

I find it to be not a bad product, but it would be much better with improvements to pricing and performance.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

More Veritas NetBackup reviews from users