Veritas NetBackup Review

All-inclusive with everything under one console

What is our primary use case?

Our use case really depends on what we need at a particular time so we use the solution for online productives and we also do incrementals. We are customers of Veritas and I'm a senior systems support analyst.

What is most valuable?

The value of this solution is that it's a complete solution and the fact that we can do almost every standard process including backups, is interesting and better than the competition. Everything is under one console as opposed to some of the other solutions whereby you can use them to do key backups but when it comes to the client you can't monitor everything on the console. This product is already compatible with most of our servers, it's already doing backup on disc, on tapes, on other peer servers.

What needs improvement?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that can be added to the solution. Our real issue is the pricing and it's a recurring cost, so it's not something that will go away any time soon.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

This is a stable solution.

The solution is scalable. The only time we need to do anything is when we're upgrading to the next version and there may be major components that need to be looked at.

The current solution is stable and we haven't needed to contact the support.

I have previously tried a couple of different solutions. But for the time being, it's really one of the most complete solutions. We were using another solution from Symantec for backup purposes. Prior to that, we had also tried another vendor solution, which was for an IBM solution. For a time, we also used Veeam and we have been looking into either implementing Infrascale or Commvault. For the time being, it looks like Commvault would be the replacement for Veritas. It's a cheaper solution.

The initial setup was very straightforward and took about 15 minutes. We had help from the vendor. There isn't much maintenance required, only if there's an issue with something. We are  small company, so it's not a problem - we do backups of the servers and almost everything that we have on our infrastructure. When we carry out the backup for the exchange server, we do backups for everyone in the company, so it's not just one specific user or a couple of users. There are three admins in the company.

I don't know the licensing costs off the top of my head, but it's pretty high compared to other solutions out there. There are also additional costs for things like support.

What other advice do I have?

As a technical solution, this product is right up there. I would recommend the solution but it would depend on the use cases and the load. Depending on the load, there might be other, more cost-effective solutions.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

More Veritas NetBackup reviews from users