Veritas NetBackup Review

Stable, with good scalability potential, but needs a better user interface

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backup purposes.

What is most valuable?

The backup and restore functions are very valuable aspects of the product. We use those features the most.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is very good.

What needs improvement?

I'm not fully satisfied with the product.

It's a little bit complex to manage.

The user interface is not user-friendly. It's a bit complex, and it's dated in appearance. It needs a much simpler, cleaner update.

The reporting is too complex. There needs to be a way to customize it in a simple and straightforward manner.

The solution has extra features, however, you need to pay for them.

Occasionally, technical support cannot find the root cause of issues.

We've been using the solution for about four years at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. it's reliable.

The scalability of the product is very good. A company can scale it with relative ease if it needs to.

While technical support is responsive, we have found that sometimes they just seem can't find the actual root cause of the issues we present. Sometimes they can't fix our issues. That's why we aren't 100% satisfied with the level of support they provide. They need to be more knowledgeable and dig deeper to resolve issues.

I can't speak too much about the installation process.

My understanding is that the installation is simple as it has an appliance that's installed. The usage is a bit complex and there needs to be extra licensing to customize the reporting - however, that's a different issue.

It is not an all-in-one solution. Some features come at an extra cost and need extra hardware or software.

I can't speak to the actual pricing of the product, however.

We are casually looking into alternative solutions. We are looking at Commvault, Rubrik, Cohesity, and Dell. Mostly, we are interested in enterprise-level products.

What other advice do I have?

We are not using the latest version of the product. The NetBackup version we are using is 8.0. We use a NetBackup Appliance. The NetBackup version is a bit older as it's integrated with the backup appliance. That's why we cannot upgrade to the latest version. The latest version is 9.0.

I would warn other potential users that, in my experience, it's a bit complex and may be difficult to achieve some requirements compared to other products. Rubrik or Cohesity may be a bit easier, for example. It's a little bit traditional in terms of architecture. However, the features compared to others are really quite amazing.

In general, I would rate the product at a seven out of ten.

8.0
More Veritas NetBackup reviews from users
...who compared it with Veeam Backup & Replication
Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.