Veritas NetBackup Review

You can construct a comprehensive backup solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Six months ago, I recovered several dozen TBs of production data after our storage failed. I recovered Enterprise Vault, Exchange, Oracle, and SQL DBs and VMs. We did not lose any production data and immediately after recovery, the business ran smoothly.

What is most valuable?

You can construct a comprehensive robust backup solution based on NetBackup. Management of such a solution will not be an ultimate challenge. I can rely on this product if I need a restore.

What needs improvement?

The last releases introduced a simplified backup of MS SQL and Oracle. I'd like to have a more user-friendly interface for recovering MS SQL. It would be nice to have native support for MySQL and PostgreSQL. Veritas should increase the number of supported storage options.

To be more specific, NetBackup has the user interface and if you need to restore DB instead of failed one - it's OK. But if you need to restore DB to different location or another server you need: find required backup copy via the user interface, create *.bch file with restore parameters, edit this file to adopt it for the new DB destination, open this file in the user interface. For beginners, these steps are not something obvious.

Netbackup can backup MySQL via Oracle policy, to be honest, this is not completely native support and this method has a few limitations. In fact, you can buy from Veritas (or Zmanda) clients for MySQL or PostgerSQL from Zmanda to backup MySQL or PostgreSQL on Linux. But sometimes this is not convenient.

Currently, as far as I know, for Replication Director has support snapshots and replication only for Netapp storage (ONTAP) and support of snapshots for EMC VNX and EMC Celerra. Despite the fact that for my environment this functionality was enough, I think that Veritas should develop Replication Director and add more storage devices. I believe that now, as data grows really fast, backup software should not only copy data in a classic way, but should be able to manage snapshots and replication between storage devices. In fact, this applies to any enterprise backup software.

Any large products have their issues. I cannot say that the stability issues were unacceptable in comparison with TSM, Commvault, or Veeam, for example.

I would give technical support a rating of 8/10. They are good.

In the organization where I was previously, NetBackup replaced Backup Exec because Backup Exec did not have enough flexibility/scalability for the current environment.

I've implemented several NetBackup installations and all of them run smoothly. However, if you are going to implement it for the first time, I really recommend you run some tests before doing so.

If you have a complex environment with dozens of different servers and apps, I recommend you look for TB licensing. We decided to convert our per server licenses to simplify the license management.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation is the same for any product. Decide what options you really need, and then test the required options. If the required options work fine, then implement the solution.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I recently changed my employer. My previous employer was Veritas customer. My current employer is a Gold Veritas partner.
1 visitor found this review helpful