VictorOps Review

We use it to send out phone alerts for critical incident. We're satisfied with the tool.

What is most valuable?

We are very satisfied with the tool. We were using a similar tool, but the features were not enough for us. I did some research and found VictorOps, which we then tested. It was perfect, so we decided to go for it.

My team as well as other teams are now using the tool. As for me and my team, we use it mainly for our phone alerting. If there are a few non-critical incidents, a notification is sent to VictorOps which converts it to an email notification and then to a phone alert.

What needs improvement?

One thing which we would like is an improvement to the history log on the main page. There is some history, and I think you can filter it, but the filtering options are not sufficient for us. We would like to have more options. You can find some history records for the previous two or three days, but you cannot dig into them. For example, you cannot find logs that are a week old. Another example is that you cannot check the incidents created in VictorOps from the previous Friday. This is one limitation that they need to fix.

When I plan according to the schedule in the platform, for some reason I'm sometimes not able to change the on-call duty person. For example, if I want to remove a person who is currently on-call and assign the on-call duty to someone else from my team, it's not possible. I need to log out and log back in first. Maybe it is browser-related, I'm not sure, but this is something that causes me difficulties from time to time.

Eight months.

I appreciate that whenever we have an issue, we have very good support. If there is something wrong, I always have somebody from VictorOps support to step in and help us out.

It was email2form, which was not a professional tool. From time to time the tool didn't work and when it was down it was a big issue for us. If tool wasn't working, we didn't actually have a phone alert, so we didn't know that there was a critical situation. With VictorOps, whenever there is a critical incident we have a phone alert.

I was in touch with the support center of the previous tool and they were terrible. Now with VictorOps, we create support tickets (via VictorOps as well), and the response time from support is always very good. I usually have updates within 24 hours of logging a ticket, which is something that I appreciate, and need.

It was not very difficult, and user account enrollment is very easy. What I like, is the feature where you have an account created in the platform, then you assign a phone number to the user, and then you can very easily test it. You send a test SMS and/or phone call to make sure that the person who will be on-call will receive the call. This is a very nice feature in the platform with the initial setup, because we use this tool to monitor other tools.

It depends on your requirements and expectations. You need to be sure of what you need and what you would like to use the tool for. Eventually you can find other tools on the market which might be a better fit for you, but for our purposes which I described, VictorOps is very good and even for the price we paid, it's perfect.

What other advice do I have?

What was very good is that from the beginning, our VictorOps an account manager, has been working with me almost every day. Whenever I ask for support, he organizes a call and gives me access to a Sandbox, or a testing environment. I would advise any potential user who would like to investigate VictorOps to start using that.

Find out what your peers are saying about VictorOps, PagerDuty, Atlassian and others in IT Alerting and Incident Management. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.