Visual Studio Test Professional Review

Good integration between the management data and the test cases

What is most valuable?

There are many valuable features, including the integration between the management data and the test cases. You have the ability to link them with the requirements and user stories. You also have the ability to track the running of the test cases and the reporting of the results of each test case. You are able to send some reports via dashboard control to see the status of the overall testing across specific requirements or specific user stories. It enables us to connect the bugs and the cases to the requirements.

What needs improvement?

The service right now is far too expensive. You need to pay per user.

The solution needs more reports and more dashboards as well as more details for each originated spare test case or best guess in test cases.

There are still some issues in the results. There is an extension integrated with the test manager that enables you to run manual testing and to track the progress of any scenarios you've written in the Test Professional. We have noticed some bugs in this extension and this is the core of running the manual test cases. These bugs need to be resolved. They have to enhance or to add more stability to this extension specifically.

I've been using the solution for around two years.

The solution is very stable. We didn't find any issues regarding the stability or the maintenance of the system.

The solution is very scalable. The main concern is the cost. Even if it were implemented on-premises, the cost of the license is too high. Currently, we have around 20 to 25 users, all of which are engineers. We are planning to expand this number; we need to publicize this system across the organization.

We are satisfied with technical support. Communicating with them is very simple. We also have a lot of online resources to check and to study and to train our team with. The documentation is very clear and readily available.

The initial setup was straightforward. The cloud service allows you to subscribe to use it. We also have an on-premises model and it was very simple to install and implement that as well.

We implemented the solution ourselves.

For the cloud services option, you buy a subscription per account or per user. This costs around $52 a month per person.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the cloud deployment model, on Azure cloud services as well as an on-premises deployment model.

We have around 100 quality engineers that we eventually want to get on the system. To do this, we need to apply a test specific license for using and testing the modules in a real case or in TFS. I don't know how much this will ultimately cost, but it's not cheap. We are a partner with Microsoft, so we are eligible for some free license-related testing. We're using the on-premises deployment model for this. They do require some subscriptions for cloud services with limited accounts as well.

The highest value for this product is the integration. Everything is tracked, everything in your software lifecycle can be integrated. Data can be added. You can track and monitor and make some reports and dashboards across your project to get more details as well as more accurate data about day to day activities done on your project. It's very useful.

Before using Visual Studio Test Professional, we could not imagine that we could track certain types of or large amounts of data for the testing team. We were so focused on the development and issues and bugs without linking them with testing. Now we use testing data and test management to test the plans and to link everything with the requirements and the project lifecycle.

I would rate this solution nine out of ten.