VMware vSAN Review

It's a cost-effective solution for medium-sized IT organizations because you can start small and then grow as needed. However, it had stability issues during my testing period.

Valuable Features

From what I saw, you can create the SAN in a small environment, and then grow. That’s a valuable feature of VSAN and makes it cost effective.

Improvements to My Organization

It's cost effective because you can start small and grow as needed.

Room for Improvement

From my experience testing it, VSAN could be more stable.

Use of Solution

We tested it for about three months.

I was not sure about its stability because we have a big SAN shop and I got the impression that it’s good for small offices and not the larger ones.

The scalability seems ok – I would give it 6/10 because in a traditional SAN you can go up to a few terabytes. However with VSAN, it seems you can only get a couple hundred terabytes, and I expected more.

We haven’t had a chance to use it for VSAN, but in general we've had pretty good support from VMware, so I think VSAN tech support will also be good.

Implementation Team

We haven’t fully implemented, but it should be simple and straightforward.

ROI

We will implement it by ourselves without a vendor team.

Other Solutions Considered

We looked into Dell and Nutanix, and chose VSAN because of ease of setup.

Other Advice

Customer support, the actual technology, how robust or stable it is and the ease of deployment are the criteria too look for when selecting a vendor.

I would say that if you’re a medium IT organization and looking for a cost effective solution, VSAN is worthwhile; but, if you’re a bigger environment, I would go with a bigger SAN like EMC, NetApp, and IBM.